Finally made it to the local racetrack.

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DRWard

Supporting Member
Reaction score
After several years of going to the local Thunder Valley race track, but not actually racing, I finally tried out my 2018 VMAX. My son got a 2022 Kawa ZX6R and wanted to see how fast he was. So we both headed to the track for the Friday "Fun &Grudge" night. Track was offering free tech cards, so only cost 10.00 to race.
Gotta say, my boys bike is pretty quick! Both bikes COMPLETELY STOCK. We raced 3 times and he beat me on reaction time every time, but I did improve. This old man at 60 can still have fun. I beat him to the finish 2 of the 3 times, but every race was VERY CLOSE! I am #15 on the ET slips. Check out these times... The cooler air and working out the bugs, finally got it under 11 with a 10.93 1/4 mile time.
Maybe we will do some Mods this fall and try it again. This way we have a good baseline.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220813-184803_Brave.jpg
    Screenshot_20220813-184803_Brave.jpg
    472 KB · Views: 0
  • 20220813_002425.jpg
    20220813_002425.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 1
Last edited:
Congratulations on your time/speed. You have some skill evident.

Since Palm Beach International Raceway closed, we have to travel over 3 hours for a 1/4 mile track.

Great runs for your first time.
Reaction times will improve.the more runs you do.you will learn to go. When the last yellow is dimming.and green is about to light. It's a fine line. But it's there. Also at fun nights. I've been know to just say see ya. And leave early. Ya, I got a red light. But my buddy on his busa.was caught off gaurd. And had a less than stellar run. Enjoy the new addiction. It's such a blast. To be able to let the vmax rip. In a safe,controlled environment. Besides running down a drag strip. Is cheaper than the court cost.of a speeding ticket.
And everyone does burnouts .

I see that all the time people saying if I had better reaction times they would have ran better times. Reaction times has nothing to do with your et.
WOW, I NEVER said anything about ET.
Did I ?
Understand what you've read. Before commenting. If I was talking ET's.
I would have mentioned 60ft times. But I'm sure you knew that.

After several years of going to the local Thunder Valley race track, but not actually racing, I finally tried out my 2018 VMAX. My son got a 2022 Kawa ZX6R and wanted to see how fast he was. So we both headed to the track for the Friday "Fun &Grudge" night. Track was offering free tech cards, so only cost 10.00 to race.
Gotta say, my boys bike is pretty quick! Both bikes COMPLETELY STOCK. We raced 3 times and he beat me on reaction time every time, but I did improve. This old man at 60 can still have fun. I beat him to the finish 2 of the 3 times, but every race was VERY CLOSE! I am #15 on the ET slips. Check out these times... The cooler air and working out the bugs, finally got it under 11 with a 10.93 1/4 mile time.
Maybe we will do some Mods this fall and try it again. This way we have a good baseline.
Not sure if you have Gen 1 or 2. But if it's a stock Gen 2 for about $1500 you can dip in the 9's. Simple MAB with K&N, DD to clutch, Akrapovic mid pipe thru stock mufflers and Nash flash.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20211120-154701_TulsaRP.jpg
    Screenshot_20211120-154701_TulsaRP.jpg
    522 KB · Views: 0
Not sure if you have Gen 1 or 2. But if it's a stock Gen 2 for about $1500 you can dip in the 9's. Simple MAB with K&N, DD to clutch, Akrapovic mid pipe thru stock mufflers and Nash flash.
Cool, I was thinking almost the exact thing for MODs. I do have the DD clutch already. Was looking at Nash flash, CAT delete, and air box mod.

I love the OE look, so the MODs that you suggested sound just right and very promising.
Looks like from Tulsa, just up the turnpike from me. Maybe someday we will cross paths.

Thanks for the share of the track times.

Yeah I usually like to keep my bikes looking completely stock, hence I really liked the looks of the OEM mufflers. They sounded great running thru the Akrapovic and not obnoxiously loud at all. I do not like loud pipes on the Max. I also didn't want to over do it with mods. By researching and reading what other guys were doing is what led me to the four mods I chose. I also didn't want to make it a race bike cuz I like to ride, to work once in a while, through the twisties and just being smooth with it at times. I didn't want the mod's to change the everyday ride even though it's a Vmax. I did however believe I could get into the nines with it. Unfortunately a couple of weeks after dropping the 9.98 the Max was totaled, I was sick to say the least. Now it's somewhere over in Europe. I have been looking since not to long after it being wiped out. I really like the 16 Galaxy Blue since it's the same color as my 14 Raider. I am just to dang picky most of the time but I usually find what I am looking for in time. Yeah just on the east side of Tulsa so once I put another Max in the stable we'll have to to get together. Good luck with your mods if you go that route and Ride Safe!!!

Attachments

• TRP - Vmax (3)1.jpg
    TRP - Vmax (3)1.jpg
    475.8 KB · Views: 0
Friday Fun and Grudge here at Thunder Valley.
After completing a few Mods to my Gen 2, finally got back to the track to measure improvements. Gotta say I am pleased. (Improvement of .6 in the 1/4 mile from stock). I am sure others have better times, but it was all about having fun with my son.
I raced 4 runs, two solo and two against my son on his modified ZX6R. He won one, I won one. He made 6 runs, a couple against what should have been much faster bikes. These new generation bikes are quick! We had a blast!
Here are my sheets. I am #747.
Best time 10.401, worst time 10.833.
It really hooked up on that 10.833 Just shows you big wheelies dont have good times. Tried to ride it out, but had to let off twice. (See 2nd vid) I know I can make improvements on my Reaction Times, (R/T), but hey it was all about having fun.

First is the video of the ONE time I beat my son. 😆 🤣

Second one is the wheelies.

Attachments

• received_1423658041377061.mp4
    1.8 MB
  • 20221015_002512.jpg
    20221015_002512.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 0
  • received_436900458509729.mp4
    1.5 MB
Last edited:
It really does make it more fun when you have 2 bikes that are that close cuz most of the time it's whoever gets the jump. Especially when it's your son. When I had my first Max in 85 I had a buddy with a GS1150E. My Max was totally stock, he had done a few mods on his Suzuki. It was that way with us, however got it on the tree ended up best through the traps.

I noticed along with your mods you have brought your 60' times down from the 1.9's to 1.7's which brings your overall ET 2 tenths lower since your trip there in August. Great runs and great job! Yeah the wheelies destroy timeslips, I usually would just let out if the front went up too much and just coast through. When I hit 9.98. I had the best 60' ever on that run otherwise I would have been in the tens. I had been working to try to launch it better, it's just hard because the bike is so heavy and powerful and I am only 165 lbs. By the way I am also 60, us older guys can still have fun on these monsters. Keep it up and Ride Safe!!!

Back