finally .... the first start

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

02GF74

Reaction score
The first engine start and run today (after cleaning out carbs at least a month if not 2 ago). Engine has not run for a while, months or possibly years. Oil, filter and coolant were replaced.

I'm going to have to adjust the idle and balance carbs but engine runs although I have a couple of questions/concerns.
1. how much should the choke lever move, from fully off to fully on I measured 0.8 inch at the black plastic tip - is that correct? I would have expected more movement, if choke is not fully off, it may be the cause of 2. below.
2. also seeing smoke that I think is fuel = running rich? that seems to be getting less as engine warms up - not reached operating temperature. I will check the spark plugs.

Any comments or advice, I hope I don't need to strip down carbs again.

Check movement of the fuel enrichment pistons, a forked follower actuates each of them. Some WD-40 or CRC 5-56 on the fuel enrichment piston shafts, and working them up/down to get full movement will ensure the 'choke' is working ok.A stuck-open fuel enrichment piston or pistons will make it run rich.

When I had the carbs off for cleaning and I did check operation of the choke pistons, seemed to me moving freely, certainly closing OK.

I'm hoping someone will report back on choke lever end travel, it just doesn't seem enough.

Nat need to remove the air box to have a better look, sods law they are underneath the carb bodies.

Just see if the piston levers move fully when you flip the choke lever. 3/4" doesn't sound too-bad, I think it might be less.

Just went out and measured my 85 it’s about an inch and three eighths of travel measured from bottom point of the scoop,hope that helps

More important than the amount of lever travel is the amount each enricher piston protrudes outside the housing when the choke is activated. This is adjustable by altering the bends on the choke connecting rod going from #2 to #4 carb. 1/2" - 3/4" seems to work fine.

Luckily I can see the enrichment pistons from the sides. I notice that when the choke is off, the pistons do not go fully in. Photo below: on the left shows the plunger when choke is off; then I can push the plunger in a little bit further about 1-2 mm on the irght. I am guessing this accounts for the richness.

Right now I am stumped as to what is causing this and how to fix it. Do those piston have springs that pull them back in? Reckon I will have to take the airbox off and possibly carbs.
chokeissue.jpg

Mine did that, but the motorcycle had been idle for many years. I just sprayed them liberally with WD-40 and exercise them in and out numerous times, the linkage as well. They freed up and are operating smoothly at full travel now. You can push them in with your fingers to help them out. Don't want to force anything and or put a strain on the linkage.

yeah, did exactly as you describe above but used carb cleaner, now all plungers spring back fully. Then I tried to start it but battery would not turn engine over - ordered a new gel battery, thought I'd get away with it but seems not.

I like to see a little free play in the levers, so I know they're off completely. +1 to checking the length each extends with the choke engaged fully.

Back