finding a fuel leak

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

serrow

Reaction score
HI folks,

in my everlasting quest for knowledge and vmax stuff, I'm stil working on my vmax troubleshooting. with the horrible gas mileage i have, I'm still looking here, and looking there.

we all know the famous starting procedure where the fuel pump relay clicks or clucks itself up to full pressure. I think I have a leak somewhere inside (maybe in the carbs) and i do often times hear the click or cluck that SOUNDS like the same clicking when shifting bike to run. if somethings leaking, i can imagine the fuel pump needing to work harder to bring things up to snuff.

So, my question: what are some of the ways to find a fuel leak if inside one of the carbs?

HI folks,

in my everlasting quest for knowledge and vmax stuff, I'm stil working on my vmax troubleshooting. with the horrible gas mileage i have, I'm still looking here, and looking there.

we all know the famous starting procedure where the fuel pump relay clicks or clucks itself up to full pressure. I think I have a leak somewhere inside (maybe in the carbs) and i do often times hear the click or cluck that SOUNDS like the same clicking when shifting bike to run. if somethings leaking, i can imagine the fuel pump needing to work harder to bring things up to snuff.

So, my question: what are some of the ways to find a fuel leak if inside one of the carbs?

Sounds like you might need to adjust the floats.It is normal to hear the fuel pump when you turn the key on.

Did you write down what size jets are in the carbs?Heaven only knows what all was done to this bike before you bought it.The jets could be totally wrong.Needle valve seats(nozzles) could be worn.Is there any chance of getting onto a dyno with an Air/fuel sniffer?

One good check is to run the bike on the main jets down the highway,Above say 8500rpm for a few miles then immediately pull over and pull the plugs and look at them.Riding home will change the reading.what do they look like?I am guessing yours will be black as coal.

I think someone put main jets in that are way to big!
There also is the problem with are they Mikuni or Dynojet jets.The numbers mean totaly different things between the 2.I prefer to use mikuni jets.

Latest posts

Back