Finicky 2nd Gear

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Trondyne

Reaction score
Not sure if it's me or if this is some known problem, like the segment thing I read about somewhere else...

I am missing 2nd gear shifts like crazy and it's getting annoying... My other bike, a CB900 also has a similar issue which I never expected to appear on the Max...

The shifter is a bit far away from the aftermarket footpeg ... The way I ride the shifter just meets the tip of my shoe.... Not much leverage like that so I thought that was the problem... I tried moving my foot up when shifting for better leverage but it doesn't really seem to help, or I can't tell....

This only seems to be a problem when shifting from 1st to 2nd...and it seems random or maybe the transmission prefers a certain RPM... Sometimes it works just fine and other times you hear the gear teeth clatter instead of or before it actually shifts into 2nd.. And then sometimes it simply goes into neutral...which is very common...

It never pops out of gear, once shifted, at least that I remember...

I figure you guys probably know what's going on with this...if it's just finicky or there is a problem...

The lever is easily adjusted so instead of trying to get your foot into a position during that shift it would be much more consistent to get the pedal where you foot can make it more consistently. The segment was upgraded in 1999 so it's possible yours is starting to fail but you won't know until you open it up to look.

Is your CB900C an early 1980's bike the one w/the 'hi-low' tranny, so you have 10 speeds? One of my friends had one, new. An interesting standard bike.

FYI, I believe the 1993's are purple/blue for the USA market. I think the '94's were the yellow stock paint job. if you look inside your faux tank cover, the underside, you will see the emissions sticker that says what year the cover came from.

Second gear problems are unfortunately a real issue. Worn engagement dogs are often the problem, and require crankcase-splitting, and gear replacement. As Sean Morley said, it could be the shifter selector mechanism, no case-splitting.

The lever is easily adjusted so instead of trying to get your foot into a position during that shift it would be much more consistent to get the pedal where you foot can make it more consistently. The segment was upgraded in 1999 so it's possible yours is starting to fail but you won't know until you open it up to look.

From what I can see the shifter setup looks very not stock... At least it doesn't appear to be adjustable at all...

Is your CB900C an early 1980's bike the one w/the 'hi-low' tranny, so you have 10 speeds? One of my friends had one, new. An interesting standard bike.

FYI, I believe the 1993's are purple/blue for the USA market. I think the '94's were the yellow stock paint job. if you look inside your faux tank cover, the underside, you will see the emissions sticker that says what year the cover came from.

Second gear problems are unfortunately a real issue. Worn engagement dogs are often the problem, and require crankcase-splitting, and gear replacement. As Sean Morley said, it could be the shifter selector mechanism, no case-splitting.

Yes, it's a 1981 with 1978 GS550 bars... .. The 10 speed....just serves as a 6th gear for most people... shifting into "Hi" when on the highway...

Similar issues with these two bikes -- they could be cousins... And that 900 is for sale...

The color under the cover looked dark... but it's a '93 bike...

As I get more familiar with the bike I'll know more about the shift problem and I'll post a pic of the shifter/peg arrangement....

The stock is adjustable. Loosen the two jamb nuts (one is reverse threaded) then turn the knurled center to make the shifter raise or lower as desired. Don't forget to re tighten the jamb nuts.

The stock is adjustable. Loosen the two jamb nuts (one is reverse threaded) then turn the knurled center to make the shifter raise or lower as desired. Don't forget to re tighten the jamb nuts.

Raising or lowering the shifter won't help... The problem is the distance from the peg....

It's starting to really pizz me off.... :bang head: I can't take the thing out for a short ride without missing two or three shifts...just over revved the crap out of it getting on the highway... Even when it shifts it often does the gear teeth thing first... brrrrrrrrrup clunk...

And I can just see the mechanic when I explain this: he'll be like well it shifted for me when I took it around the block...

I can't believe after how many years of making bike trannys they still can't get it right... This is my second bike with a tranny issue...

Here's a look at the setup... No way to get the shifter closer to the peg AFAIK...

It seems about an inch further away from the peg than my other bike...not helping...

Attachments

• shifter.jpg
    shifter.jpg
    37 KB · Views: 37
Stock is wider and the karyuakn sits back a little more than the stock when mounted. Going to a stock peg should move you up close to a 1/2"

Stock footpeg. 5" cardstock for reference. Gap is a little lees than 5" from edge to edge

Attachments

• 20171120_123736.jpg
    20171120_123736.jpg
    59.8 KB · Views: 30
  • 20171120_123721.jpg
    20171120_123721.jpg
    92.7 KB · Views: 30
Stock footpeg. 5" cardstock for reference. Gap is a little lees than 5" from edge to edge

Thanks for that....

Isn't there any aftermarket part that would be more adjustable, either a shifter setup and/or footpeg... I have to measure my other bike but that shifter feels at least an inch or more closer.... This shifter often feels like it needs a very firm shift to get it into 2nd which is tough when it's at the tip of my shoe...

Well I developed a new technique for shifting my Max... Not sure exactly how I am doing it but I just started hitting the shifter with a bit more force and determination, kinda like kicking it up with each shift... So far no missed shifts ... Which is good if a bit tough on my ankle...

But it's good to feel and hear the shift work each time with some confidence...

The other night I got on the highway and there was a car behind me who appeared to be in a hurry... I figured ok well as soon as I'm off the ramp and on the road I'll hit it a little bit and be long gone... I did about a 3/4 power take off and when I hit 60 I took a glance over my shoulder only to see the car about 7 inches off my rear end...:surprise: I was like WTF... Then I noticed the car appeared to be a Hellcat... or similar variant, it was too dark to tell...and then as I ran out of room he went around me, as if annoyed at how slow I was going... only to have to slow down a half second later due to traffic....

I think I need my v-boost turned on... :biglaugh:

Can anyone tell me if when shifting, more often than not, the gears make that sound of the teeth chattering before the shift, like, brrrrrupt, clunk, is there a likely culprit?

Occasionally it shifts correctly, just goes into gear but more than half the time, 2nd, 3rd at least, you can hear the teeth chatter before it clunks or clicks into gear...

It should not make noises like that. You may have something trans related or even a shift segment going out.

It should not make noises like that. You may have something trans related or even a shift segment going out.

Is there an article online for the shift segment? I saw one but the pics were missing....

Is it possible that my lack of leverage is causing this problem? That might explain the tendency for it to go into neutral instead of 2nd... Because the shift lever is positioned about by my big toe nail...no real connection there... I have to really force my foot/shoe up to get any kind of movement on the shift lever....

I really need to find a way to get the shifter closer to the peg and my foot isn't small, I wear a size 11.5...

You have an aftermarket peg, why not return to OEM? I have an 11-1/2 to 12 shoe USA and don't have problems making good shifts w/the stock footpegs.

Another obvious one would be to re-weld the shifter to whatever length is right for you.

I had the same peg on my 96 installed by the previous owner and had similar issues from weak shifts. Same shoe size. No issues with stock peg. The 1/4-1/2 inch difference is huge.

Okay thanks guys.... I'll see what I can do with both the peg and possibly the shifter...

I always recall the shifter closer to the instep that the tip of my toe....Guy at the shop said the position was "fine" but not for me... :p

Latest posts

Back