Fire damage repair electrical issues?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wayne z

Reaction score
Reposted from electrical for maybe more views:

Hi all, I have just replaced the entire wiring harness on my Vmax after my old one nearly burned in two in the fuel pump area from a fuel fire.
Haven't pinpointed the cause yet, but I did discover that tank vent valve was clogged. I did find a lot of cracks in the fuel pump diaphram, and the motor end of the pump was the most burned spot on the bike.
Speculating, maybe too much tank pressure (nearly full) causing something to leak in the motor area of the pump and the sparking contacs of the pump ignited the fuel.

The problems:
I carefuly inspected the replacement harness, cleaned the connectors and repaired a few. There was no evidence of overloaded or short circuit wires or connectors anywhere in the burned harness, just an 8" section burnt to bare copper.

After installation, all the electrics work, but the fuel pump and the servo are silent when the key is turned on.

I jumpered the pump and it's fine. Close re-inspection of all plugs and fuses checks OK.

My guess is that when the wires shorted together in the fire area, probably burned out some relays.

Does anyone want to opine on what parts I should try replacing first? Also, a description of their locations would be helpful.

Thanks,

Wayne

Me too, but not this time. I learned the hard way by pissin on the fence LOL

Not too long ago, I took my ol FLH down to the local rural convenience store about 7 miles from home for some honey-do last munite cooking stuff errand .

When I got ready to leave, With eggs and nutella sruffed in my jacket,I noticed the carb overflow had been dripping on the ground. Dang HD, I shoulda known to turn off the petcock LOL while wondering if the engine is flooding or not and what starting tecnique to use this time(HD thing) LOL.

Well, battery is kinda weak I know but it also has a kickstart, so I don't sweat the battery freshness too much on this ride.

After a couple tries, the batt gave out, and people started watching me then, so I had to swallow my self conciosness and flip out the starter pedal and kick it.
Guess what, 65 yr olds can't kick a dang shovelhead but a dozen or so times without needing a break.

So then all the coolnes factor was gone, bystanders lost intrest and went on with their lives, and I got a ride home to get my truck and jumpers.

After coming back and using the jumper cables and a couple tries trying to figure out if it is flooded or not, I noticed the kill switch was off!
Flipped it and it started with about 1 revolution, and I felt so dumb LOL then had to get back after I got home, to retrieve my truck.
So now, I eyball the kill switch first thing if anything is not right when starting.

Latest posts

Back