Fire Please be careful!!!

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

poppop

Reaction score
Terry, there was mention of a chimney fire....Did it spread? Was there much damage? Is it out? :confused2:[/QUOTE]
Yea danny were ok ,That was about 2 years ago,I used to open the draft and the doors,And let the chimney catch fire ,Very easy to do ,And cleaned out the chimney for the most part,I was unaware that that was a hole in my chimney liner, most of my chimney was stainless steel,The inner part was not,I had replaced it years eariler with regular stove pipe,It rusted very fast.The inner liner caught fire on the outside and caused the second safety liner to catch fire too! all that was left was the outer liner,Which was smoking along with the roof,I ran and grabed a full cofee pot and dashed it into the wood heater closed the doors and shut the draft,Got more water in a pot becuase i broke the hot coffeepot with cold water,Througed more water in the heater,It is made of heavy gauge steel the only thing cast iron was the doors ,the cooling the heater so fast warped the inside of it ,didn,t do any damage to the doors or the outside.Went back outside a sprayed the garden hose on the roof and chimney,cooled everything down and watched for smoke the rest of the night,I was very lucky,Dont try that anymore,Another 5 minutes ,I dont believe anyone could have saved it ,The fire dept could have put out what was left,Im gonna post this and let everyone see how dangerious it can be and how fast it can happen Please everyone be careful.cirmstances can change year to year
This was my reply back to danny,Merry christmas all be safe>

Ive never had a fire in my chimney but my buddy said when he had one it sounded like a choo choo train... scary to say the least... heres my latest install... no more carrying wood inside or the occasional smoke is no longer an issue.

Attachments

• untitled.jpg
    untitled.jpg
    23.4 KB · Views: 42
Old timers on the Cape would stuff the chimney with news paper, wait for a rain storm and light it up. Not recommended by me. I've had fires in the liner and it's almost impossible to put them out. Like you said Terry, the roof is a main concern, even with a liner. Having the system cleaned on a regular basis is the best defense. I like the wood furnace pic.

Old timers on the Cape would stuff the chimney with news paper, wait for a rain storm and light it up. Not recommended by me. I've had fires in the liner and it's almost impossible to put them out. Like you said Terry, the roof is a main concern, even with a liner. Having the system cleaned on a regular basis is the best defense. I like the wood furnace pic.
Mine scared the shit outta me ,Sounded like some kinda vacum cleaner from hell that night .I love wood heat,But i guess im gonna quit using it,Roof to slick (metal).Bones getting too brittle,Uesd to get up there like it was nothing.Get aggravited at myself .Merry christmas all.

Latest posts

Back