Firing order, Degrees between.

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rusty McNeil

Reaction score
All the recent talk about exhaust sounds has got me curious about what is the most efficient exhaust between how UFO does their 4-2 and how Marks does their 4-2

I've looked in the manual and am not sure I understand the chart. Even tho I built my engine I'm still not sure.
I know Damon told me the venture cams are "clocked" differently and utilize a different crank degree separation between firings. Said it would run but wouldn't make near the power if you clocked the Vmax cams like a venture.

What is the firing order on the Gen 1 Vmax?
How many degrees of crank rotation between each firing?
And how many degrees between the last cylinder until cylinder 1 fires again?

All the recent talk about exhaust sounds has got me curious about what is the most efficient exhaust between how UFO does their 4-2 and how Marks does their 4-2

I've looked in the manual and am not sure I understand the chart. Even tho I built my engine I'm still not sure.
I know Damon told me the venture cams are "clocked" differently and utilize a different crank degree separation between firings. Said it would run but wouldn't make near the power if you clocked the Vmax cams like a venture.

What is the firing order on the Gen 1 Vmax?
How many degrees of crank rotation between each firing?
And how many degrees between the last cylinder until cylinder 1 fires again?

Attached are timing charts from an 86-93 Venture SW & 2001 VMax SM.

Identical

Venture cam on left, VMax cam on right, last picture.

Gary

Attachments

• Venture timing.JPG
    Venture timing.JPG
    38.3 KB · Views: 120
  • VMax timing.JPG
    VMax timing.JPG
    36.6 KB · Views: 139
  • pics 031_2.jpg
    pics 031_2.jpg
    39.1 KB · Views: 96
Gary, I've read your posts for quite a while now. You always provide reliable, precise detailed explanations that are understandable. I've learned a lot from you over time.

Thank You.....:clapping:

Attached are timing charts from an 86-93 Venture SW & 2001 VMax SM.

Identical

Venture cam on left, VMax cam on right, last picture.

Gary

Weird, wordage says order is 1-3-4-2
Chart development shows 1-3-2-4

Maybe if Damon sees this he can explain what he told me about cam clocking...?
I probably completely misunderstood...

WOW! That is a hell of a difference in the cam profiles! Much faster lift and more time around full lift on the V-max cam. Like bumping up to a CompCams Extreme Energy cam.

On the subject of exhaust sound, I think I will shoot for an aftermarket exhaust that has its sound very close to stock, only with a little more volume. To my ears, when I get on the throttle, it seems that the stock has the raspiest sound compared to all the Vids I have seen on youtube.

Damnit... I don't think I will ever feel completely satisfied. I'm ALWAYS lookin for a new way to change something on my ride.

I been thinking..
And drawing /sketching angles and stuff.

Its definitely 1-3-2-4 as the graphical chart shows for both bikes.

The wordage that says 1-3-4-2 for both bikes is a misprint.

Crank throws are 180 apart, 70 degree V angle,
Making 1-3-4-2 virtually impossible.

And I agree that the clocking has to be the same for both bikes or the cams wouldn't swap between bikes.

If you had different cams tho you could get creative, swapping TDC's since the bike is waste spark.

Back