First 600 miles - Shaft Drive Oil Change

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

riderboy1961

Reaction score
Thought I would put this on here just for the heck of it, nothing else much to do lately.

The Shaft Drive drain plug Magnet had about the normal amount of metal shavings attached to it for 600 mile break in period.
I put in the recommended .32 US Qt. which equals: 303 ml. - (barely a 3rd of a quart - Wow)

Bike is running excellent in Stock form.

I Was surprised however that there was No Magnet on the Engine Drain Plug? I wonder why Yamaha passed on putting a engine oil drain plug in with Out a Magnet, Especially when the Engine Oil also runs in the Transmission. Clutch Debry can get into the engine bearings. 4000 miles between oil changes seems too long in between considering the engine and transmission share the same lubricant.

I/We/Family used to Run Yamaha YFZ450's (carbureted) back in the 2000's (we had 5 of them all total in our family) and we changed engine oil every other ride due to the clutch and engine Sharing the same lubricant. Those Quads were Bullet Proof too. We rode those hard and long on our riding days... never an engine or transmission problem (about 6 years total).
20200514_130446_resized.jpg 20200514_130232_resized.jpg 20200514_130307_resized.jpg 20200514_130446_resized.jpg 20200514_130232_resized.jpg
(Some of the Yamaha engines are noisy but, they are bulletproof, don't let the noise scare you.)

Last edited:
The plugs are identical in size, so you could always put a rear plug in the engine oil pan. I know people who have.

I have a washable filter with a strong magnet in it so I haven't bothered changing the plug.

Excellent!!

I forgot about the magnet trick. I have used a large magnet on my vehicles Transmission Fluid Pans before.

Both are Great Ideas!!

So... if we use a: shaft drive Drain Plug... the magnet sticking out the end of it does NOT hit and rotating assembly inside the Engine Oil Pan? (I am leaning toward this choice)
(also... I don't want to drain all the engine oil out just to look up inside the engine oil pan drain plug hole, I wish I had this info before I had started the job, then I could have done just that! lol)

I don't think the clutch material is magnetic, is it?.... That's what the filter is for. Magnet still isn't a bad idea, but it's only gonna hold what passes in front of it. Magnet on the filter would be more beneficial I would think as long as the magnet is strong enough to catch and hold the passing metallic flakes while it's being circulated in the oil.

Got a question:

After riding about 20 miles for the first time after the Shaft Drive Gear Oil change (1/3 of a quart or 333ml) I checked for leaks. While touching the Shaft Drive Housing I noticed it to be Very Warm. I use the Back of my fingers to get an accurate temp reading... it was Very Warm but, not too hot to touch, but getting close, with the back of my fingers.

*How Hot will the Rear End Housing get on normal riding use?

(I cant remember how hot it was on the rides before I did the Shaft Drive Gear Oil Change)

Last edited:
Got a question:

After riding about 20 miles for the first time after the Shaft Drive Gear Oil change (1/3 of a quart or 333ml) I checked for leaks. While touching the Shaft Drive Housing I noticed it to be Very Warm. I use the Back of my fingers to get an accurate temp reading... it was Very Warm but, not too hot to touch, but getting close, with the back of my fingers.

*How Hot will the Rear End Housing get on normal riding use?

(I cant remember how hot it was on the rides before I did the Shaft Drive Gear Oil Change)

It's normal, it'll get too hot to touch.

per my owners manual... The next time the Final Gear oil change is due is at 16,000 miles (Wow).
1/3 quart of gear oil will last from 600 miles to 16,000 miles - this Yamaha Final Gear Oil must be very hard to break down.

Lol, that's nothing. How many people change the gear oil in their car atleast once in less than 100,000 miles?? Not many. Either change it when something goes wrong, or the same oil from the factory is still in it when they sell it, or scrap it. And I'm talking the dino 80w90 gear oil. Not this new synthetic stuff.

Latest posts

Back