First gear surging / hesitation?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

yukonerdave

Reaction score
Hey everyone

When I lay on the throttle heavy in first gear I am getting a weird pause followed by a kind of lunging surge - best way I can describe it. Maybe a hesitation (I don't really know the signs/symptoms of engine hesitation)? It does not happen in any other gear, nor does it happen under normal acceleration in first. I haven't fooled around with it much, but its possible that it is happening right as Vboost kicks in (not really sure). I wish I could describe the problem better - I need someone to give it a ride and tell me what is going on. I guess I'm wondering if this sounds like a transmission issue or an engine issue. Thanks

Hard to tell when not in person but If I had to offer a solution I would say...
Really give it a good WOT and see if it sounds like it "spools" at all before taking off.
Its possible your clutch is going out and its just spinning your clutch until it catches...
Might be an easy fix,clutches are quick and easy to replace.If you exhaust your other options pull a couple clutch plates and see how much wear they have.

Thanks Green - I'll look into that. It could be the clutch. Here's a (hopefully) better description of what's happening. I'm rolling along fine at about 3k RPM in first gear. No probs. If I accelerate modestly, it revs and moves smoothly all the way up until I shift to second. If, from 3k, I twist to WOT quickly, I do not get smooth acceleration, through the range , there are one or two 'hiccups', or really short pauses in the acceleration, followed by kind of a lunge forward. I get smooth acceleration all through the range, regardless of how fast I twist the throttle, in all other gears. I tried to take a vid clip, but it didn't turn out...

Easy way to know if the clutch is going is to bump the front wheel up against a wall, put it in fifth gear and dump the clutch (just as you would if your leaving in 1st gear) - if it stalls, clutch is good, if it doesn't and revs up, clutch is fried.

Mike

Easy way to know if the clutch is going is to bump the front wheel up against a wall, put it in fifth gear and dump the clutch (just as you would if your leaving in 1st gear) - if it stalls, clutch is good, if it doesn't and revs up, clutch is fried.

Mike
But what if you move the wall? lol, kidding.

That actually sounds like a real good test.... and based on the hesitation I get @ about 4K rpm in 3rd gear when I go WOT, I need to do this test..... it's been suggested that I might actually be spinning the tire, but I'm not sure... :ummm:

THanks Max!

So (I think) I pass that test. Bike stalls immediately if if just let the clutch out fast. It pushes against the wall for a bit if I let it out slowly, but stalls before it is out all the way. Maybe something screwed up with my first gear?

Is it possible that I am spinning the tire??? That's kinda how it feels. Would I notice skip marks on the road if I were?

Is it possible that I am spinning the tire??? That's kinda how it feels. Would I notice skip marks on the road if I were?
I'm going to have my buddy ride behind me and try to watch my tire to see if it's breaking traction or not... from what I've heard, a quick break won't really leave a mark? but I have no clue???

Happy to hear your bike stalled! LOL:clapping:err passed the test!

tire toasting does feel that way...I used to jump the throttle on the way out of my school parking lot almost every day and it would always bog and hesitate.I thought it was running ill...
I find out later I had been burning out of the parkin lot every day for the last year and SUDDENLY the dirty looks fromm our "parking guard" MADE SENSE!!!
Could be whats happening to you

tire toasting does feel that way...I used to jump the throttle on the way out of my school parking lot almost every day and it would always bog and hesitate.I thought it was running ill...
I find out later I had been burning out of the parkin lot every day for the last year and SUDDENLY the dirty looks fromm our "parking guard" MADE SENSE!!!
Could be whats happening to you
LMAO! :worthy::clapping:

Back