First new goodie for the new bike... or actually for me.

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wolffmann34

Reaction score
So, my 'new to me' 2006 Max is now put away for the winter.

IMG_9705_zpsab3e2b3c.jpg

The bike is so stock, it looks like it was just just taken out of the crate (except for that pesky odometer reading 10k miles)

Now I start shopping for goodies.

I needed a new helmet and considered getting a plain black helmet and have someone match the flames from the tank of the bike, until I got prices for that.

So, I decided the helmet doesn't have to match the bike, and I picked up this:
IMG_9800.jpg

Over the winter I plan to add a Dyna 3000 for the rev limiter, a backrest, and new front brake rotors. (pulsation)

I also plan to add a removable windshield and some sort of leather bags I can put on for longer trips.

This site has been a great help for finding everything I need.

Diggin the helmet man! Great looking bike too! She's a clean slate ready to go in whatever direction you want to take her!

Definitely get the Dyna....I hit my limiter all the time.

As far as backrests go, I decided on the HAC quick release backrest because it is very functional, fits the styling of the bike great, and can be put on/taken off in less than 30 seconds. HAC also makes a luggage rack that can be taken on/off at the same time. I typically ride without the backrest on because I like the looks of the bike better, but whenever my wife wants to go, I have to slap on "The Wife Package" (sissy bar, luggage rack, bag that attaches to sissy bar/rack). That way she doesnt fly off the back when that supercharger kicks in AND she has somewhere to put all her "stuff".:confused2:

As far as longer rides go, you can get some pretty big sissy bar bags. I havent found any saddle bags that look decent on the max, and most are a PITA to take on/off.

Good luck to ya and have fun with it!! You'll find that this site has info on just about everything available for the max.

Backrest
http://www.classiccruiser.com/H.a.c.-Products/Alloy-Sissy-Bar/153236/

Rack
http://www.classiccruiser.com/H.a.c.-Products/Luggage-Rack/153256/

That thing really does look like it just came out of the crate. You get so used to seeing everyone's tricked out Max's almost forget what the bike looks bone stock.

I'd avoid ir-reversably modding it if you can....some day there will be a market for untouched, stock Vmaxes. Plus you'll make out better if down the road you decide to sell it (put it back to stock and sell off the aftermarket stuff seperately).

Just keep all the stock parts you take off, if you want to repaint save those tins (the 06/07 paint is expensive) and get some ones off another bike.

Really...a bone stock vmax is tough to find. It's a bike that just begs to be customized, not many people can leave it alone.

Fatmax quick release bags are awesome and hold way more than they look like they would. Go with that over some leather things. IMO hard bags look like they belong on this bike, and for the bike nights you can wind them right off.

I got my set used from a member here, might be more at ebay rates but if not Roger is awesome to deal with. I got a new set of locks from him to complete my used set.

I'm planning on changing out the honkin 80's turn signals eventually. If I would have known what a process it was to extend the signal wires I probably would have picked up my preferred set along with the bags. I'm going to wait until the fenders come off for paint before bothering now.

I have tried most of the racks/backrests over the years. Now have a Five Star Givi trunk rack (not available for at least 5 years). Just took off a complete stock unit in chrome with custom luggage rack brackets to lower the rack 2" from stock. The stock luggage rack always seemed too high. Didn't like the looks. The HAC doesn't work with a Corbin seat. The Renn-Tech is ok but don't like the curved rack. The MEK looks strange on the bike to me. The only set-ups I haven't had on the bike are the Hepco-Becker, Cycle-istic and FatMax. Do have the FatMax brackets though. Planning on using them with a different saddlebag setup. Also have the saddlebag stand-offs from a German company that are no longer made. They keep throw-over saddlebags from rubbing anything. There is also an Australian company called Ventura that makes different size soft bags and racks that are very functional but ugly. Had them on a Suzuki Bandit and they work great.

If you just need a rack and backrest, the Cycle-istic seems a good solution. For bags, FatMax or Hepco-Becker. Hepco-Becker has a large selection of high quality bags and trunks but very expensive. Similar to Givi. They are the only company that has setups for saddlebags and trunks. The only maker of brackets for Givi was Five Star (German company) but they dropped the Vmax stuff years ago. Think they are out of business now. Seems many of the companies specializing in the Max were in Germany.

For soft saddlebags and tailbags, etc, I recommend Nelson-Rigg. They have a lifetime guarantee. I have two different size tail bags, saddlebags and a tank bag and they are great. Had a bad experience with customer support with Tourmaster Cor-Tec saddlebags so cannot recommend them.

Thanks for the comments and suggestions.

So many choices.

I hadn't found half of those from searching here and the net.

I'm actually not planning a lot of long rides, I got a lift for the bike that goes on the back of my motorhome, so most often I plan to use the Max as my around town vehicle while traveling. Well, that's why I bought the bike, but after buying it, I just want any excuse to ride it now.

I'm actually not planning a lot of long rides, I got a lift for the bike that goes on the back of my motorhome, so most often I plan to use the Max as my around town vehicle while traveling. Well, that's why I bought the bike, but after buying it, I just want any excuse to ride it now.

That's the key man. I've got bags on my muscle bike because it means I can ride it more often. Quick stop at the grocery store? No problem.

They take away from the look of the bike, but what good does a pretty bike do you if it's always under a tarp because you can't ride it on a regular basis?

That's the key man. I've got bags on my muscle bike because it means I can ride it more often. Quick stop at the grocery store? No problem.

They take away from the look of the bike, but what good does a pretty bike do you if it's always under a tarp because you can't ride it on a regular basis?

Exactly! :punk:

Garage queens always look good but are seldom enjoyed. And the times you do plan on a big ride they'll probly let you down cause the carbs are all munged up from sitting! :bang head:

Good points on the letting her sit.

I like the looks of the standard leather bags on the Max, not a fan of the hard bags I've seen, just not the look I want.

I'm not much of a garage queen kind of guy, I'm more of the ride it hard and lots and give it all the love an maintenance that it needs.

Which reminds me, I still have to either drain the carbs or run her out of fuel before I let it sit all winter. I was riding it in Iowa and you can't buy anything but ethanol there.

If you have the option you should run it out or drain the whole bit and fill with the good stuff.

Dudes disagree on proper storage, octane, oil, additives, etc. They disagree so much and feel so strongly your average recommended ______? thread turns mean so fast and passionately you'd think somebody fucked somebody else's wife.

It's unanimous among everybody that gasohol is terrible, and especially for storage because it gums up faster and is harsher on seals. It's cost saving, emissions reducing, and terrible for your machine.

I'm jealous you live in a place you can gut pure unleaded.

I can, but it's a ways away from my house, and there is snow on the ground already...

Is it hard on the fuel pump to let the tank run dry, my low fuel light is on and I'm considering just letting it idle til it dies.

And I've never slept with anyone's wife without their permission...

I can give you my experience with ethanol gas and storage. Only one additive has made any difference for me. The carbs would gum up with whatever I put in except StarTron. This additive has been used in Marinas for some time as boats are left for long periods of time without being started, even before ethanol. This was only available at boat supply stores (West marine, etc) until the last year or so. Now even Wal-Mart stocks it either in the auto or boating additive section. My bike is in storage (U-Haul) and has sat for as long as 4 months without being ridden and it starts and runs with no problems. My carbs are stock so far as jetting, etc.

SeaFoam is a cleaner that works well but does not help with storage. Supposedly the StarTron keeps the ethanol from separating and attracting water. Have no idea if this is exactly how it works but it has worked for me. Just my :twocents: :biglaugh:

I can, but it's a ways away from my house, and there is snow on the ground already...

Is it hard on the fuel pump to let the tank run dry, my low fuel light is on and I'm considering just letting it idle til it dies.

And I've never slept with anyone's wife without their permission...

If the tank is empty it will be susceptible to rust. Id fill it with treated gas. As far as the carbs go, that is up to you. Some prefer to drain. Some keep them full. If you want them empty just unplug the pump and run the bike.

Heard Ace Hdwr. has gallon containers of the pure stuff available....don't know on the price tho. I just use Sta-Bil Marine....the green stuff....and never had issues.

I been meaning to hook up with someone at the local airstrip but never got around to it. Think they have the good stuff there too.

Back