First problem in awhile, quick fix?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DigitalArts

Reaction score
So I've been riding the bike on the daily lately and when I left the house for my new job (Cycle Gear, whoop! Awesome so far) the bike randomly stalled out about a half mile from my house... Got home from work and this is the info I have for you.

1) I think it's most likely a "safety" switch from the kickstand or Clutch, I'd like to override both of them if I can. It's an 85, kickstand switch appears to be aftermarket (will post pics tomorrow)

2) I have always had to be in neutral to start it, but never noticed random stalls due to one of the switches before.

3) I can flog it at 6k and hard shift into first or second with the clutch pulled and it will do the same thing without lurching, so I'm ruling out the possibility of the clutch not working and causing the shut offs.

4) I've read a couple of articles about my same problem on here and I found out I can apparently override both of the switches, but I'm having trouble tracing the kickstand wire and I could definitely use some pictures for location reference!

Thanks for any help guys, the half mile I got it was down a really big hill so hopefully the neighbor doesn't tow it before I can fix it xD

When it stalled....was it "dead" right there....or were you able to get it restarted?

When it stalled, did you lose all electrical power......or did the headlights...etc still come on with the key on?

I removed my kickstand switch 5 or 6 years ago when it acted up while I was on the road.
If I remember correctly I just had to unplug it and connect the wires together, it's still like that today.
I was going to put a new switch on but just never bothered.

If the headlight does not come on then the main fuse next to the battery ( 2- 30 amps green ) or ignition switch most likely.

Kickstand switch has caused problems on my dual sport bikes
Kickstand would bounce down on hard hits & whoops & kill the ignition for a second

all you have to do is find the two wires going into it cut them & twist them together

30 second fix

No need to cut the wire, just do a short 'jumper' from one electrical lead to the other at the switch, as was mentioned. You can do the same for the clutch switch, which will then allow the bike to be started in gear w/o the clutch lever being pulled-in, so beware of that.

If it is the sidestand switch you can probably use some WD-40 or CRC to allow the switch to have its spring-loaded barrel move smoothly. If the barrel is bent, then you probably need to bypass the switch or replace it.

Kickstand switch has caused problems on my dual sport bikes
Kickstand would bounce down on hard hits & whoops & kill the ignition for a second

all you have to do is find the two wires going into it cut them & twist them together

30 second fix

When it stalled....was it "dead" right there....or were you able to get it restarted?

When it stalled, did you lose all electrical power......or did the headlights...etc still come on with the key on?

When it dies I can pop it back in neutral and it fires up perfectly, then I go to drive again and it shuts off the moment I shift into first or second from neutral

I'm going to go try cutting the kicckstand chord and assuming two wires are in the rubber housing I'll twist them together and put a crimp connector over it. Hopefully that's the problem!

I traced it up a bit and it appears to go towards the battery area and combine withe another wire.

No need to cut wires, just make a 2" jumper spade terminal and plug it in, or lube the shaft of the sidestand switch and compress the plunger a few times until it springs-back easily.

No need to cut wires, just make a 2" jumper spade terminal and plug it in, or lube the shaft of the sidestand switch and compress the plunger a few times until it springs-back easily.

Heya! Thanks for the quick reply, I'm outside messing with it now. I did what I thought would work and took a picture of it, no luck though... still does the same thing o.o

http://m.imgur.com/sLNeID1

Hopefully those were the right wires xD

When I shift into gear it instantly dies. Like so fast that I considered it being the clutch grabbing but I ruled that out when I tried shifting into gear at 5k with no brakes and it didn't tug forward more than an inch as it normally does

Also, is there another seat that sits a bit further back than the corbin one I have? I feel like the handle bars are too close to me xD

Ok, you bypassed the sidestand switch, and it is still doing it, so I would guess that it is not the switch, but a bad wire or ground.

Which one would it be that would cause those symptoms? Is the kickstand switch wire grounded somewhere? I just see that it combines with a bunch of other wires o.o

Also, is there another seat that sits a bit further back than the corbin one I have? I feel like the handle bars are too close to me xD

You could try super bike bars....where there grips are is a couple inches forward compared to the stock location.

With the Vmax seat, you cant really change location. Even Seans cut down seat....the seat is in the stock location....just cut down, so you sit further down into the seat.

You could try super bike bars....where there grips are is a couple inches forward compared to the stock location.

With the Vmax seat, you cant really change location. Even Seans cut down seat....the seat is in the stock location....just cut down, so you sit further down into the seat.

Good call, how much are they? And any ideas about the wiring? I'd like to get my bike away from where it is before it goes missing :bang head:

Thanks for all the help as always! :punk:

Which one would it be that would cause those symptoms? Is the kickstand switch wire grounded somewhere? I just see that it combines with a bunch of other wires o.o

lol electric problems is my kryptonite. I know just enough to know that when those kind of issues crop up, I am just gonna take my Woona (or any other bike I own) to Starting Line, and let the guys there fix it.

On your 85, I'd look at the side stand switch- relay. It is wired to the starter circuit cut/flasher relay & TCI. Your best bet is to get the 2 known good
components and plug them in. Sean has a kit he sends out with what you need, I believe.

On your 85, I'd look at the side stand switch- relay. It is wired to the starter circuit cut/flasher relay & TCI. Your best bet is to get the 2 known good
components and plug them in. Sean has a kit he sends out with what you need, I believe.

PMed :D

OUCH!
I would have jumpered it right down at the kickstand where the switch is had it been me. You can even use a bent paperclip to jumper it at the switch. Plus, you'll be sure it's the correct wires by doing it there. Just my $0.02

OUCH!
I would have jumpered it right down at the kickstand where the switch is had it been me. You can even use a bent paperclip to jumper it at the switch. Plus, you'll be sure it's the correct wires by doing it there. Just my $0.02

Haha I tried it there first, but it didn't work there either xD

Back