First production motorcycle with under seat fuel tank

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

02GF74

Reaction score
I read somewhere on Internet that the Vmax was the first motorcycle with an under seat fuel tank yet I I'm sure the Honda Golding has one, and it predates it by 10 years.

So was the 'wing the first? And this query applies to production motorcycles so no mopeds or bespoke racing bikes built by a man in a shed.

Low-hanging fruit.

I'm gonna say that this bike or a derivative of it was 'the first.'

Tooley's Patent Bi-Car (1903)
The seat is behind the gas tank , front-to-back, but the gas tank is definitely below the level of the seat.

Tooley Bi-Car 1903.jpg

Followed by a licensed version the Zenith Bi-Car (1905) Hub-center steering, like the Yamaha GTS 1000!

Zenith-Bi-Car 1905.jpg

The Militaire is a later derivation, as-was the Ner-A-Car (below).

Ner-A-Car.jpg

This definitely has the gas tank under the seat. Circa 1918. That beats the Honda Gold Wing by 57 years. Another pic:

Ner-a-Car 1918.jpg

In 1922, 'Cannonball' Baker rode one 3,364 miles from the East Coast to the West Coast: Staten Island NY to L.A. CA in 7 days. Yes, he's "that" Cannonball Baker, after-whom the apocryphal Cannonball Run was named, the race started by Car and Driver magazine and later turned into a successful movie franchise. Who can't forget the boob-off between voluptuous Adrienne Barbeau and equally-lovely Valerie Perrine, the former in her Lamborghini Countach, and the latter in her law enforcement officer uniform?

Adrienne Barbeau Cannonball Run.jpg
Valerie Perrine Cannonball Run.jpg

Dan Gurney's famous line, after winning the race in a Ferrari Daytona: "At no-time did we exceed 170 mph!"

Last edited:
:D

If anybody would have set us straight on this, it would be the Medic in the house!

I have never seen either of those contraptions!

Latest posts

Back