First Service!

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

max03

Reaction score
I am just shy of 600 miles 590 i believe. A few questions for the 1st service. I know its still too early to switch to synthetic oil so what do you recommend for oil 10/40 yamalube? The next question is oil filter. I always ran k&n 303 because all of the research i have ever read pointed to the factory filters being garbage. And then the final question is what else needs to be serviced? The shaft assembly need to have the oil changed also? Ifso what is the most recommended for that?

I took mine to the dealer for the 600 mile. I just did my own this spring. K&N oil filter with Valvoline 10w40 syn. Blend. Dealer didn't do the final drive, so I did it. Very easy. I did it after a ride so it was warm. It takes a special blend if you get oem get the part number in your owners manual, I used ams oil of the factory weight. I'll get the label info if you like. Now that I don't have the cat. I'll switch to Shell rotella 15w40 full synthetic this spring. I'm over 4,000 miles now so I should be able to transition to full synthetic.

IMO you can switch to full synthetic now if you want, you are past the break in period. Waiting longer will not hurt of course.

I would only recommend the factory final drive oil. https://www.partzilla.com/product/y...rHGGJpRhx0EVpJNZkEAcrTUyxvtZzkWhoC4VsQAvD_BwE
It is has anti-foaming agents in it. It's expensive but so are final gear parts. I'm pretty sure the bottle is good for at least 2 services.

Rebaltaz83 - You need to check that the Rotella FS oil doesn't have friction modifiers in it.......I know the non - synthetic version is a good choice for the Gen 1, not sure about the full synthetic version in the Gen 2. Any friction modifiers (in most auto oils) will likely make the clutch slip immediately.

Rebaltaz83 - You need to check that the Rotella FS oil doesn't have friction modifiers in it.......I know the non - synthetic version is a good choice for the Gen 1, not sure about the full synthetic version in the Gen 2. Any friction modifiers (in most auto oils) will likely make the clutch slip immediately.

Thanks for reminding of that, I'll make sure it doesn't have any before buying, I might stick with the Valvoline if I have to. I know the diesel oil isn't compatible with cats. But I'll definitely make sure it doesn't have any friction modifiers.

IMO you can switch to full synthetic now if you want, you are past the break in period. Waiting longer will not hurt of course.

I would only recommend the factory final drive oil. https://www.partzilla.com/product/y...rHGGJpRhx0EVpJNZkEAcrTUyxvtZzkWhoC4VsQAvD_BwE
It is has anti-foaming agents in it. It's expensive but so are final gear parts. I'm pretty sure the bottle is good for at least 2 services.

Thanks for that, I will order some.

Didnt Tim recommend this for the Gen 2? It was on the starVmax forum.....but.....you know..... https://mobiloil.com/en/motor-oils/mobil-1/mobil-1-4t-motorcycle-oil
I wouldnt run this with a normal clutch on nthe Gen 2, as it is just barely capable of dealing with the power issue....I do run it with the DD, and havent had an issue.

The cheapest that Ive found is about 10 bucks a qt. https://www.walmart.com/ip/Mobil-1-...2ImD8-ItsGxLVazkPbKftSgQbbCRSC1waAhDNEALw_wcB

Last edited:
Are you guys running auto motor oil instead of motorcycle oil?

Generally speaking you should never use automobile oil in a motorcycle with a wet clutch. most automobile oil has friction modifiers in it to improve fuel mileage. These will cause your clutch to slip.
There are some exceptions like Shell Rotella which is actually formulated for diesel engines. It does not have the modifiers and is a very popular choice as a conventional oil for bikes.

Are you guys running auto motor oil instead of motorcycle oil?

Diesel oil. Ran shell rotella in my gen 1, as does many gen 1 owners. Finding neutral is no longer a pita, and the shifts are virtually effortless. I could ride a whole season without changing the oil. It has added zinc to help protect the bearings. I'm running it in my 360 build in my 91 d150.

I thought I saw some owners running shell rotella synthetic in their gen 2.?? I could be wrong.

Last edited:
I have always run the mobil 1 4t 10w40 motorcycle oil in my bikes, if there is something better recommended i would be interested!

I have been using the K&N filter and Rotella T-6 in my 2014 for a while now with no clutch issues. I actually use it in everything I own. It is an excellent oil designed to be used in engines that operate under extreme load and temperature conditions. For the final drive I have used the Amsoil "severe gear" gear oil from the first service.

I finally cracked 600 miles on the Battlestar bike this weekend on a toy run lol.

Latest posts

Back