1st Gen V-Max First Summer on a '99 VMAX!

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
VMax Year
Hey everyone, so I'll get right to it and make this origin story short; last summer I got a 1999 Honda Magna 750 and fell in love with the bikes we affecitonately call "Muscle Bikes". Over the course of the winter (Canadian boy) I did quite a bit of research and decided to jump the gun and grab the Mac-Daddy of Muscle for this summer. Cut to early May, I had my 1999 VMAX on the road.

This thing is a monster in the best way! The absolute straight line power is quite a thrill and I love that there's ample passing power in pretty well any gear when you're at regular speeds.; I even enjoy the little kick you get from going down to 4th gear and burping past someone like they're coming to a stop. I'm sure anything I can say about riding this bike is already very well known in this forum - so moving on!

I'm not a tinkerer, so every aftermarket piece on the bike was done prior to my ownership, although from the information I've gathered from this site, it seems like it has had what some consider pretty standard mods. Clutch plates replaced, cooling fan put on a switch, Corbin seat, Holeshot Performance exhaust with stage 1 jet kit.

A couple other modifications I am considering getting is to swap the headlight (which is almost entirely useless at night) and the rear shocks to some that'll bring the length from 13" to 11"; probably some Progressive 412's.
One downside for me is I'm around 5'8" with ~29" inseam and when straddling the bike evenly I am on the tips of my toes & I'd like to get a little more of a firm placing at stop lights and signs.

My question for anyone who got this far: If I were to do such modification, what are some of the con's to look for? I've read one con where someone mentioned you'd be better off also modifying the kick stand so it still has a good lean when you're parking it. Any and all help is appreciated!

Attachments

• VMAX.jpg
    VMAX.jpg
    291.9 KB · Views: 54
  • vmax2.jpg
    vmax2.jpg
    262 KB · Views: 51
Last edited:
Glad you’re enjoying! Maybe a seat with more of a “cut”. The Corbin,as I’ve read, is firmer and doesn’t really lower your seating position. Morley makes a great seat IMO. Then maybe lowering springs for rear and drop the front up to 1” in the triple trees. You can buy a shortened kickstand or modify your own with heat or cut. Good luck!

An inch and a half less shock height o.c. is about as-much as is recommended. Going two inches, and you better remove your centerstand, as you will be leveraging off the ground your tire contact patch, and when it happens, you're primed to dump the bike.

Sean Morley can re-shape your seat to make it a better fit and to lower its height, from different foam to re-shaping the contours.

Try an LED bulb in your current light and see if that helps. I run a 7" EMGO light bucket and a H-D lens, with a halogen lamp, and am satisfied with its light output, I wasn't happy with the OEM set-up.

One of the bike magazines recommended thicker soles on riding boots as a way to reach the ground easier, along with those listed above.

Glad you’re enjoying! Maybe a seat with more of a “cut”. The Corbin,as I’ve read, is firmer and doesn’t really lower your seating position. Morley makes a great seat IMO. Then maybe lowering springs for rear and drop the front up to 1” in the triple trees. You can buy a shortened kickstand or modify your own with heat or cut. Good luck!

Thanks for the response & I apologize for my tardiness on my own post. I've yet to do a height adjustment mod of any kind, but sleuthing this site some more I actually found a post where Morley himself suggest a 1.5" rear drop & 2" front drop, so when the time comes I think I'll go for that! Could you link me to a website where I could check out a shortened kickstand? Thanks in advance!

I also have a great condition set of 11.5” progressive shocks that I would sell you at a very reasonable price. I put them on my bike and lowered the front 2 inches with progressive springs and my bike ended up being too low so I brought the front up an inch as well as the back. I’m 5’4” with about a 26”inseam and a Morleys Muscle seat. I found that sharp dips in the street or well placed bumps were not kind to my exhaust. I also started bringing my bike to track days and ran out of lean angle right away, much to the dismay of my kickstand, exhaust and foot pegs. Although I gained a reputation as the guy shooting out a stream of fairy sparks every time I went around the corner. Just food for thought

I also have a great condition set of 11.5” progressive shocks that I would sell you at a very reasonable price. I put them on my bike and lowered the front 2 inches with progressive springs and my bike ended up being too low so I brought the front up an inch as well as the back. I’m 5’4” with about a 26”inseam and a Morleys Muscle seat. I found that sharp dips in the street or well placed bumps were not kind to my exhaust. I also started bringing my bike to track days and ran out of lean angle right away, much to the dismay of my kickstand, exhaust and foot pegs. Although I gained a reputation as the guy shooting out a stream of fairy sparks every time I went around the corner. Just food for thought
Another vote for Morley's seat treatment here.

Congratulations on your new to you bike OP, I just rounded a year with my 98 and will be a vmax rider for the foreseeable future.

Taking your guys' advice and I emailed Morley about the seat mod first and foremost. I hope to go with this before putting money into the suspension. My inseam is around 29" so I may need to lower the suspension still, although maybe not as agressive as I've thought. Thanks again!

I just reread my post and those would be fiery sparks not fairy sparks.

I just slid my front forks 3/4-1” in the triple trees and have 11.5” 412’s being delivered on Tuesday. I can post and update and pics when I get them installed. I’m 5’7” with a short inseam skin share in the struggle. Any specific pics you want to see?

I just slid my front forks 3/4-1” in the triple trees and have 11.5” 412’s being delivered on Tuesday. I can post and update and pics when I get them installed. I’m 5’7” with a short inseam skin share in the struggle. Any specific pics you want to see?

I'd certainly like to see some pics of your bike after the modifications. It'd be cool to see a photo of you on the bike, to see how your feet are on the ground. Sounds like we're pretty similarly built.

I'd certainly like to see some pics of your bike after the modifications. It'd be cool to see a photo of you on the bike, to see how your feet are on the ground. Sounds like we're pretty similarly built.
The 412’s were returned. I tried to get an “eBay deal” and ended up paying the price. They were delivered with surface rust on the springs and the bushing were already cracked. They ended up being new but very old stock. I can get a pic with just the front lowered when the weather breaks.

Ordered a 2nd set of shocks. Install is pending. Probably this Thursday. I will still get some pictures if you would like.

So it's been a while, but I worked with Sean to get a Deep Cut Morley seat and I am very impressed with it! The weather here in Ontario (Canada) still isn't great, but I took it for a spin earlier this week and it makes a larger difference than I anticipated.
I was worried the seat may become uncomfortable with so much being cut, but it's still every bit as comfy as the Corbin. The riding position changed a little, but no added strain in any place. Overall, the comfort feels A+!
My feet are much more stable on the pavement and it's even made easier to push and maneuver while straddling it, however my heels still hover very slightly. I think I still may swap the rear shocks, but might only do .5" or 1" and not touch the front forks.

Attachments

• GridArt_20220321_194252101.jpg
    GridArt_20220321_194252101.jpg
    209.7 KB · Views: 34
  • GridArt_20220321_194327898.jpg
    GridArt_20220321_194327898.jpg
    224.5 KB · Views: 30
Ordered a 2nd set of shocks. Install is pending. Probably this Thursday. I will still get some pictures if you would like.

11.5” 412’s and the front forks slid up about 3/4”. 29/30” inseam and I can flat foot with a little bend at the knees.

Attachments

• A9DCD6FD-AC5E-46AF-9613-1D3D0DBA9D2B.jpeg
    A9DCD6FD-AC5E-46AF-9613-1D3D0DBA9D2B.jpeg
    306.1 KB · Views: 28
Picture added. I accidentally responded to my own post instead of yours.

GOLLY does that ever look great! I think I may just go with 11.5" rears too! Do you need new shocks to slide the forks up, or will the stock ones do it? Not to cop your whole style, but what's bag is that on your secondary seat? Great fit and not too bulky.
All in all you have a stunning Vmax on your hands!

GOLLY does that ever look great! I think I may just go with 11.5" rears too! Do you need new shocks to slide the forks up, or will the stock ones do it? Not to cop your whole style, but what's bag is that on your secondary seat? Great fit and not too bulky.

You can slide the front forks without swapping the rears, but I’m not sure how much that will drop the ride height. 3/4” in the front was the max for me with the drag bars and new brake/clutch master cylinders. Also, I appreciate the compliment! I’m a pretty big fan of the bike. The bag is a Nelson rigg commuter sport. Very good quality and allows me to carry enough for a day trip. It can also expand a little taller if need be

Last edited:

One of my favorite mods is the reflector tail light from Morley. Was able to drop weight and clean up the rear end.

Attachments

• B871A405-A088-4913-9635-978E65497670.jpeg
    B871A405-A088-4913-9635-978E65497670.jpeg
    168 KB · Views: 37
  • 55AD02D8-9581-481E-9C37-BE4A5BB4A904.jpeg
    55AD02D8-9581-481E-9C37-BE4A5BB4A904.jpeg
    100.1 KB · Views: 29
  • D72C980D-CFAE-4680-A0AF-475D96D41762.jpeg
    D72C980D-CFAE-4680-A0AF-475D96D41762.jpeg
    123.7 KB · Views: 25
Back