First Vmax...Carb Issues

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

robert casanares

Reaction score
Bikes idles fine....but when you open throttle it feels as if the choke is on(sluggish,non responsive) until about 3500rpm...then it feels stromg and healthy up to redline.

its my Dads bike, he has already spent $1K with a mechanic...and the guy cannot fix it.

ps: when you push down on the choke lever, should it stay down....ours does not. The minute you romove your finger, it pops back up...

First, put your location in your signature, someone local may be able to assist you or have a good referral.

Second, tighten the screw on the choke lever, a little adjustment only. Do it the minimum for allowing the lever to hold its position.

Third, your pilot jet(s) are probably-plugged. This requires a carb tear-down (you can try the 'shotgun' method of carb spraying, but I doubt it will work for this. You split the 4 carbs into two pairs, and remove the float bowls to access the 'jet blocks,' in-which the pilot jets are. A very-tiny drill bit or a stiff very-fine wire is necessary to clean them. It's not-uncommon for you to tear the jet block gasket when removing the jet block (2 screws hold the jet block) so have on-hand at-least 4 new ones for reassembly.

Fourth, do not waste any more $$$$ with the incompetent mechanic who obviously does-not know how to clean VMax carbs.

There are members on here who can clean your carbs if you send them off. dannymax, Sean Morley [email protected]; Kyle captainkyle is his screen name, [email protected] is his email; there are others.

Last edited:
Sounds like the carbs were not completely built properly. You might start by turning the mix screws out 1/2 turn each to see if that helps or hurts your current situation.

That fuel enrichment tension screw is sometimes a source of aggravation. Periodically I had to tighten mine until I used loctite on the threads. After setting it, that is. +1 for pilots plugged up. That and float settings are two of the most important, but not limited to, issues on these carbs. Someone that isn't specifically familiar with Vmax carbs will usually miss something important on them. When I 1st started working on them I took them off and back on so many times they should have had zippers on them.

Yes, your choke lever should stay down with just enough tension to keep it from creeping up on it's own.
Very likely there is more than one single issue plaguing your carbs. Work performed by an incompetent mechanic will usually show itself in several different areas of the carbs.

Latest posts

Back