Fitting 12v battery gauge/Monitor

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Glenfruin

Reaction score
Hi all Im going to fit a small 12volt battery gauge so I have a visible display of the battery voltage, probably on the handlebars I am wondering if anyone knows if there is a live wire I can attach it to so that when the ignition is on it comes on and goes off when the bike is turned off so it don't drain the battery. Hopefully one of the key switch wires will be an option I'm just not sure which one will be live when ignition is on. Thanks for any suggestions

At one point in time, I was looking at fitting one of these to the instrument cluster (gen 1) to replace the blanked off oval lamp area.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20221128-175541.jpg
    Screenshot_20221128-175541.jpg
    308.8 KB · Views: 1
Do you have a wiring diagram? All brown wires are switched.
Hi yes I’ve got the Haynes workshop manual but to be honest the wiring diagrams look complicated I did think the brown wires were live but wasn’t sure if they were live all the time thanks for clearing that up for me so any brown wire up at the yokes area will do 👍

You can use a brown wire going to the back of the gauge cluster. That would then be protected by the signal fuse. You can also tie closer to the main fuse box.
Ok thats easy to access, I was thing it might have to be the ignition switch thanks 👍

At one point in time, I was looking at fitting one of these to the instrument cluster (gen 1) to replace the blanked off oval lamp area.
Yeah it’s a bit small doubt you can get one that siz; the one I got is about 1 inch by two inches I might stick it onto the handlebar clamp in the middle

I installed a USB/Cigarette power outlet with a voltage gauge. I can charge my phone (whatever) when I ride and also back feed through the cigarette outlet to trickle charge the battery. The red switch on top disconnects it from the battery and it is fused.

The display is bright and I can see it in the daylight.

1669726774759.png

Yeah it’s a bit small doubt you can get one that siz; the one I got is about 1 inch by two inches I might stick it onto the handlebar clamp in the middle
Sure it is small but to be fair, when I'm riding, I'm looking at the road ahead and what's around me, knowing what the voltage is is low on the list.

Thousands of Vmax gen 1 were sold and I would guess very few have voltage guages, why do you feel you need one, if battery and charging system?

Hi all Im going to fit a small 12volt battery gauge so I have a visible display of the battery voltage, probably on the handlebars I am wondering if anyone knows if there is a live wire I can attach it to so that when the ignition is on it comes on and goes off when the bike is turned off so it don't drain the battery. Hopefully one of the key switch wires will be an option I'm just not sure which one will be live when ignition is on. Thanks for any suggestions
check these posts. number 7 is mine.
https://www.vmaxforum.net/threads/voltmeter.39897/#post-419101later, bill

That’s great did you wire it into the brown wires on the console or the ignition switch ? Thanks for your input

Sure it is small but to be fair, when I'm riding, I'm looking at the road ahead and what's around me, knowing what the voltage is is low on the list.

Thousands of Vmax gen 1 were sold and I would guess very few have voltage guages, why do you feel you need one, if battery and charging system?
It would be nice to see what the voltage is while riding to check it’s charging and it lets you know of a possible issues with the battery, I’ve recently done the crimp fix and regulator rewire 👍

You can use a brown wire going to the back of the gauge cluster. That would then be protected by the signal fuse. You can also tie closer to the main fuse box.
Thanks so much this is valuable information you guys are great

I like your suggestion about using the brown wires at the gauge cluster, and if I decided to go nearer the fuse box how would that work? Would it still be any brown wire at the fuse box? And would the negative connection just go to ground somewhere? Please excuse my ignorance about the wiring I do think it might be best going straight to the fuse box next to the battery as the gauge wires are very thin! and I recently had a problem with the gauges not working due to a damaged brown wire in the gauge cluster loom that took me a while to locate….I’m just worried about draining the battery if I wire it wrong

It would be nice to see what the voltage is while riding to check it’s charging and it lets you know of a possible issues with the battery, I’ve recently done the crimp fix and regulator rewire 👍
A voltmeter won't show you if it is charging only the voltage at the point you yap into the loom.
If you wanted to know if it was charging then an ammeter would be better as this would not only show charging but also discharging.
The down side is that things that go on normally but don't bother you will become visible and increase paranoia.

A voltmeter won't show you if it is charging only the voltage at the point you yap into the loom.
If you wanted to know if it was charging then an ammeter would be better as this would not only show charging but also discharging.
The down side is that things that go on normally but don't bother you will become visible and increase paranoia.
Ahh I see what you mean so an ammeter is the better option than a voltmeter, you have helped a lot with that recommendation unfortunately I have bought a voltmeter but it was less than a tenner , I will check Amazon for the ammeter this forum is valuable for this reason someone with the knowledge comes up with a better option I know what you are saying about it being something to worry about but I really would like a visible display of the battery's performance cheers max.ps I see you are this side of the pond :) all the best buddy

Cant you run a wire straight from the battery?
would that be the best way to know what the battery is getting in and out ?

I like your suggestion about using the brown wires at the gauge cluster, and if I decided to go nearer the fuse box how would that work? Would it still be any brown wire at the fuse box? And would the negative connection just go to ground somewhere? Please excuse my ignorance about the wiring I do think it might be best going straight to the fuse box next to the battery as the gauge wires are very thin! and I recently had a problem with the gauges not working due to a damaged brown wire in the gauge cluster loom that took me a while to locate….I’m just worried about draining the battery if I wire it wrong
I use ignition relay on most of my bikes. Connecting directly from battery and using ignition switch to power relay. To much current thru the key switch usually end up with lower voltage. I use relay to power everything from heated hand grips to getting good voltage to my coils. To a more accurate voltage gauge. It takes load off of key switch and wiring loom. Do not buy cheap china relays. I’ve had the relays fail in less than a week. Try Eastern Beaver for relays. Sorry little long winded. Use accurate multimeter and check direct battery voltage to your new voltage gauge.

Latest posts

Back