Fixed my Vboost module

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

02GF74

Reaction score
A crack in PCB track is listed as a common cause for VBoost module failure.

I cleaned up the connectors and checked that 12V was reaching the backside of the module connector, it was so the problem is inside.

The plastic case is held together by tabs to and easily sprung apart. The PCB is covered in what appears to be a silicone sealant type coating that was a PITA to remove from the underside, I started on the top but gave up.

I then went over some of the joints with solder and lo and behold it worked ….. but the joy was short lived.

So I plugged the bare board and tapped it and it started to work = conclusion a break in a track or joint that was making contact when the board flexed. Getting out a magnifying glass, I saw one of the joints I hadn't gone over had a fracture all the way round - to the left of the blue dot.

A quick going over with the soldering iron fixed it.

To say I am happy is an understatement.:)

I see what's happened, photo is hosted on another site, need to locate the original......

Orange arrow points to the fractured joint, you can see the circular crack.
dryjoint-marked.jpg
Orange circle on top of the crack.
dryjoint-marked2.jpg

Last edited:
Congratulations. Feels good, eh? VBoost is one of life's simple pleasures. Your persistence and exam paid-off. Hope others decide to follow your lead, and spend the time looking at their circuit boards. Knowing what to look-for, helps. That's one reason I have a bench-mounted magnifying lamp on my workbench.

A crack in PCB track is listed as a common cause for VBoost module failure.

I cleaned up the connectors and checked that 12V was reaching the backside of the module connector, it was so the problem is inside.

The plastic case is held together by tabs to and easily sprung apart. The PCB is covered in what appears to be a silicone sealant type coating that was a PITA to remove from the underside, I started on the top but gave up.

I then went over some of the joints with solder and lo and behold it worked ….. but the joy was short lived.

So I plugged the bare board and tapped it and it started to work = conclusion a break in a track or joint that was making contact when the board flexed. Getting out a magnifying glass, I saw one of the joints I hadn't gone over had a fracture all the way round - to the left of the blue dot.

A quick going over with the soldering iron fixed it.

To say I am happy is an understatement.:)
dryjoint.jpg
wow...thanks.....ill look at that...!...

Perhaps the OP would re-introduce the pic of his repair? It isn't visible now.

I see what's happened, photo is hosted on another site, need to locate the original......

Fixed original post.

BTW someone had similar issue but with the soldered joint for one of the wires.

Last edited:
Thanks, that pair of pics should help.

Another place where a re-solder may fix things is for the ignition box, and the socket for its connector attachments to the circuit board.

Awesome gain. This might solve my problem too?
The whole PC board is covered in a kind of glue...
BWhatsApp Image 2022-11-26 at 23.14.57 (3).jpegWhatsApp Image 2022-11-26 at 23.14.57 (1).jpegut look at thisWhatsApp Image 2022-11-26 at 23.14.57 (3).jpegWhatsApp Image 2022-11-26 at 23.14.57 (3).jpegWhatsApp Image 2022-11-26 at 23.14.57 (2).jpegWhatsApp Image 2022-11-26 at 23.14.57 (1).jpeg

Back