Fjr a good bike?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

likembikem

Reaction score
This forum is by far the best I have ever tried to be part of. About a year ago I bought a 2005 FJR. Simple things I need others opinions about are usually met with answers that don't help, don't have anything to do with my problem or (I have read) knew how to do something but would not share the information because it was felt it wasn't needed. This bike seems to have some engineering problems that may be able to re engineer, or I get rid of it altogether. It does not seem to be made by the same guys that built my Vmax (2001). More details later, got to get ready for work in the a.m.

Last edited:
Re: Fjr

O.K. for example. The entire engine compartment is enclosed. I can find no place where heat can escape. With a battery at 85% or so if you make a quick stop for gas, and 5 min later hit the starter, you are lucky if it cranks. clock goes to 1:00 and trip meter resets. I felt if I manually ran the fan as I approached the gas station it 'might' help. On the forum I read they knew how, but would not say cause didn't feel it would help. I have also read it was a "battery a year" motorcycle. I don't believe it...yet. I know they have a reputation of heating up the rider, but I have thought of opening some panels for venting. The starter must be cooking in there. Otherwise the battery is in the most stupid place ever, in the right side of the fairing. Fuses can not be easy be accessed without a lot of panel removal. It runs and handles good and has good passenger seat, but I just wonder if it will be a keeper. I have replaced the battery and added more ground wires to the frame pieces. Anyway I really do have to crash out for work tomorrow. It's supposed to be icy!

Last edited:
Re: Fjr

I had an '05 'Feej' a couple years ago and liked it a lot....for the most part it seemed trouble free and it is'nt unusual to see one with 200k or more on the clock. Engine compartment access is a pain but became easier with practice. I upgraded the CCT which turned out to be quite a pain...but overall I liked the ride and power....it just wasn't a Max tho and probly the reason i sold it. Sure did love that 'Galaxy Blue' tho!

Have you had a chance to see if the extra grounds worked? One of the first things I did to my Vmax was to add a heavy duty ground kit, and have never had a hot start problem.

Question...the grounds that you do have....did you clean them?

I don't have any experience with the FJR but sounds like some issues I've come across with other bikes. I would add those extra grounds and replace the existing ones with something a bit heavier duty. The battery issue I had with a few bikes.. Started using the "dry cell" type batteries and never had to change one again after doing so. The fuse issue I would look into re locating the entire fuse panel if it is a big issue. I've done this before and it's not a quick or easy process but really makes things easy if popping fuses is a common issue. Good luck.

I doubt the extra grounds I added do anything, but I haven't had it hot again yet. I did clean all the connections I have found. With the new battery it starts up and charges fine. I don't have a fuse problem, but if I ever did, on the road, it would be a real pain. The lack of any airflow behind the engine concerns me. I checked the tightness of the starter cable, but could not clean it. access to most of this stuff is nearly impossible. I guess I am just use to getting hands on everything, so I know the machine and feel like it is reliable ,and the FJR is more car like with a sealed up engine. I got a good deal on it, but not yet decided if I want to keep it.

Latest posts

Back