FJR1300 Wheels

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thenewguy

Reaction score
FJR1300 Wheels Vmax Swap???

Not sure if this has been covered but I was looking at a Yamaha FJR1300 and the wheels appear to have the same features as the V-Max. Does anyone know if these wheels (front and rear) are a direct bolt on? They are 17" wheels.

Last edited:
Re: FJR1300 Wheels Vmax Swap???

Not sure if this has been covered but I was looking at a Yamaha FJR1300 and the wheels appear to have the same features as the V-Max. Does anyone know if these wheels (front and rear) are a direct bolt on? They are 17" wheels.

In a nutshell...NO!

Better browse this forum and read up on things. Some companies convert wheels for the Vmax, some make aftermarket ones. The only bolt on is a stock Vmax wheel, those made for the Vmax aftermarket, or machined by companies using Vmax wheel components.

You can put 17" FZR 1000 front wheels on Mr. Max, if you use the rotor spacers made by Cycle One Off.

Rear wheels are the major hurdle.

:cheers:
Neil

actually, you can install the rear FJR wheel with some spacer mods and swingarm notching.

Sean

actually, you can install the rear FJR wheel with some spacer mods and swingarm notching.

Sean

If this is true, someone needs to do a walk through out of the kindness of their hearts, so the Mods can make a sticky out of it.

I'd really like to see the details without buying one and figuring it out myself, or finding out it can't be done. :biglaugh:

Neil

we have a couple here that have have put one on each of their bikes. I can try and call them but if you are seriously wanting one installed I am sure I can get it fit for you.

If I remember correctly they had to shave some material off of the factory spacer bushing, brake stay, and swingarm since the hub bearing width is wider. Other than that and maybe notching the swingarm there wasn't anything more to do.

Sean Morley

The wheels themselves aren't that expensive. If this is really possible, it would be great to see a write up on it instead of having wheels welded etc.

I got my FJR1300 rear wheel in today and it doesnt seem to be too hard to mount up. the wheel bearing seal and bushing from the vmax has to be used on the fjr wheel. it seems that i have to machine(grind) down the vmax brake caliper bracket about a half an inch, and notch out the swingarm in a small spot where the rotor bolts are. ill keep you posted on what else is needed and some pics.

I got my FJR1300 rear wheel in today and it doesnt seem to be too hard to mount up. the wheel bearing seal and bushing from the vmax has to be used on the fjr wheel. it seems that i have to machine(grind) down the vmax brake caliper bracket about a half an inch, and notch out the swingarm in a small spot where the rotor bolts are. ill keep you posted on what else is needed and some pics.

Could you shorten or lenthen the brake arm to get the clearance that you need?
I moved my rear brake to the bottom by welding the tab for the brake arm to the bottom of the swingarm.Now the rim shows very good on that side.

I too would like to see some more pics.

I'm very interested in how this turns out. I just spoke with someone yesterday that said they had tried it in the past, and that the pumpkin was not the same size, and also something about the cush rubbers not working.

Please keep us up to date...thanks!

Neil

I got it fitted on but it is a bit too tight. in order to get the wheel on you have to disconnect the rear from the swingarm and modidfy the caliper bracket. although i have it all hooked up and running, i test road it and it seems that i need to get a wider swingarm. it rode and drove but the rear seemed to get hot due to stress. a braced swingarm is still cheaper than the 17" wheels on ebay. total cost so far is 130.00 for complete wheel and tire. HOW HOT DOES THE REAR USUALLY GET???

I got it fitted on but it is a bit too tight. in order to get the wheel on you have to disconnect the rear from the swingarm and modidfy the caliper bracket. although i have it all hooked up and running, i test road it and it seems that i need to get a wider swingarm. it rode and drove but the rear seemed to get hot due to stress. a braced swingarm is still cheaper than the 17" wheels on ebay. total cost so far is 130.00 for complete wheel and tire. HOW HOT DOES THE REAR USUALLY GET???

How tight do you have the rear torqued down to?

It seems that i blew a seal in the rear because gear oil is leaking from inside... I am goint to remove wheel tonight and inspect...
I NEED TO FIND OUT WHO DID THIS CONVERSION AND WHAT DID THEY USE????

Just a easy swap to FJR rim will give a 20mm offset in the centerline of the bike. I adapt a rear FJR rim to fit a Vmax swing by machining out the center of the rim and make the center smaller, then I welded a Vmax center in the FJR rim. Now there is no offset and no need to adapt the swingarm. Also made a new swingarm but there is no need to do that.
Can supply more pics if wanted.

Attachments

• VelgFL9.JPG
    VelgFL9.JPG
    24.9 KB · Views: 151
  • VelgFL14.JPG
    VelgFL14.JPG
    26.9 KB · Views: 164
  • VelgFL12.JPG
    VelgFL12.JPG
    27.3 KB · Views: 148
  • FJR_rear2.JPG
    FJR_rear2.JPG
    52.5 KB · Views: 152
  • smallP001.JPG
    smallP001.JPG
    58 KB · Views: 149
  • FJR_rear0.JPG
    FJR_rear0.JPG
    67.8 KB · Views: 153
  • FJR_rear1.JPG
    FJR_rear1.JPG
    71.3 KB · Views: 152
  • FJR_rear3.JPG
    FJR_rear3.JPG
    79.6 KB · Views: 167
  • VelgFL5.JPG
    VelgFL5.JPG
    24.8 KB · Views: 159
Looks good! What are you doing about a front wheel?

I am still wondering if an R1 front rim will work?Should match your rear pretty good.

Just a easy swap to FJR rim will give a 20mm offset in the centerline of the bike. I adapt a rear FJR rim to fit a Vmax swing by machining out the center of the rim and make the center smaller, then I welded a Vmax center in the FJR rim. Now there is no offset and no need to adapt the swingarm. Also made a new swingarm but there is no need to do that.
Can supply more pics if wanted.

BerryMax...

Thanks for posting your first hand experience and details on the offset. Very nice of you to post the pics also!

-----

To everyone saying it was a simple swap job:

I'm not one to say "I told you so", but, read the very first reply to this thread on page one. :biglaugh:

In a nutshell...NO!

Better browse this forum and read up on things. Some companies convert wheels for the Vmax, some make aftermarket ones. The only bolt on is a stock Vmax wheel, those made for the Vmax aftermarket, or machined by companies using Vmax wheel components.

You can put 17" FZR 1000 front wheels on Mr. Max, if you use the rotor spacers made by Cycle One Off.

Rear wheels are the major hurdle.

Neil

Looks good! What are you doing about a front wheel?

I am still wondering if an R1 front rim will work?Should match your rear pretty good.

Can post picture's of the front to. Also a home made extended USD based on a zxr400 forks with zxr brakes and rim. New project will be a gsxr1000 radial usd with zx636 rim, zx10 discbrakes and R6 calipers.

Attachments

• 2007wiel.JPG
    2007wiel.JPG
    106.3 KB · Views: 82
  • 2007Vork.JPG
    2007Vork.JPG
    85.6 KB · Views: 85
  • vork3.jpg
    vork3.jpg
    73.3 KB · Views: 116
  • vork2.jpg
    vork2.jpg
    44.3 KB · Views: 65
  • vork1.jpg
    vork1.jpg
    43.9 KB · Views: 88
  • BerryMax04.jpg
    BerryMax04.jpg
    102 KB · Views: 60
  • BerryMax03.jpg
    BerryMax03.jpg
    106.4 KB · Views: 69
  • BerryMax02.jpg
    BerryMax02.jpg
    108.9 KB · Views: 78
  • BerryMax01.jpg
    BerryMax01.jpg
    87 KB · Views: 69
  • BerryMax00.jpg
    BerryMax00.jpg
    54.5 KB · Views: 76
Can post picture's of the front to. Also a home made extended USD based on a zxr400 forks with zxr brakes and rim. New project will be a gsxr1000 radial usd with zx636 rim, zx10 discbrakes and R6 calipers.

BerryMax...Looking real good!

That bottom triple clamp reminds me of Steve Taylor's design :biglaugh: Nice work man...nice work :punk:

Neil

Back