FJR1300 Wheels

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We have ridden it a few times but need to fix a leaky differential and had to find the longer rear axle to make it all the way through so the lock nut would exgauge (some years had a longer axle).

Sean

Bringing back this old post. Did you ever come up with a kit for the rear swap? Or just have info on parts needed to swap just the rear. Also what year FJR wheels to use? And details on said longer axle please...

Last edited:
Never bothered since the offset was so far out as to be impractical for having a decent handling bike.
There is no easy bolt-on swap!

A member for Gen. II's recently posted-up what's necessary to-do to have wider rims, or larger diameter rims (or both). He showed the machining he had done, prior to welding. His price point, as I recall was $2,000 apiece. If this is not-correct, he can make the correction.

Both Sean and I have offered Gen. 1 wheels in larger/wider diameters/widths. My 17" X 5-1/2" welded wheel is roughly a bit-more-than a quarter of the Gen. II pricing I mentioned. The 18" X 5-1/2" is a bolt-up, like the old Kosman wheels, and since it starts with a new wheel blank, it's roughly double the cost of my 17" weld-up, which uses a used sportbike rim, but still about half the price of the Gen. II wheel mentioned. That Gen. II wheel shows good craftsmanship. I offer nothing for the Gen. II but I believe Sean may, for wheels.

Pics below:
#1: 5-1/2" X 18" bolt-up, like a Kosman
#2: 5-1/2" X 17" weld-up

18 inch X 5 and one-half inch VMax wheel.jpg
Vmax rear 5.5 X 17_01.jpg

Dymags are a strait swap.
'Max, it's understood (by me anyway) the discussion (resurrected by ELGREEN01) is for some magical Yamaha application to-fit the VMax, to allow the use of a 17" sportbike (read, "W-I-D-E") wheel from a ThunderAce, ThunderCat, YZF, something or-other to allow the bolt-on use of sportbike rubber.

C'mon now, you're not-really meaning to post that, are-you?

P.S.: I have a pair of Dymags, just-sitting.

just out of curiosity did any one ever look into the possible use of BT1100 wheels

'Max, it's understood (by me anyway) the discussion (resurrected by ELGREEN01) is for some magical Yamaha application to-fit the VMax, to allow the use of a 17" sportbike (read, "W-I-D-E") wheel from a ThunderAce, ThunderCat, YZF, something or-other to allow the bolt-on use of sportbike rubber.

C'mon now, you're not-really meaning to post that, are-you?

Perhaps I'm being over pedantic but your comment as written is factually incorrect.

If it had read, for instance, 'There isn't an easy bolt-on swap of a sportsbike wheel!' when I would have had no issue.

Perhaps I'm being over pedantic but your comment as written is factually incorrect.

If it had read, for instance, 'There isn't an easy bolt-on swap of a sportsbike wheel!' when I would have had no issue.
Based-upon the title of the thread, you should recognize the O.P. was not broaching the use of aftermarket wheels, nor was my response to the most-recent member's query about FJR1300 wheels inclusive of any mention about aftermarket wheeled products, other-than the 18" wheel I have had manufactured uses a similar method of construction to the Kosman (that would-be the Kosman wheel, as I do-not wish to confuse anyone!).

Our conversations and posts would have-to be much-longer if we were to embrace that ideal! It's 'factually-correct' if someone has the ability to cognitively comprehend the intent of the post, in the spirit of answering the questions posted, about what Yamaha product will bolt-on to provide a wider, larger-diameter wheel? This is thenewguy's opening post on his thread, titled FJR1300 wheels Vmax swap???:

Jun 19, 2007

FJR1300 Wheels Vmax Swap???

Not sure if this has been covered but I was looking at a Yamaha FJR1300 and the wheels appear to have the same features as the V-Max. Does anyone know if these wheels (front and rear) are a direct bolt on? They are 17" wheels.

"Hi, I drive a Mustang. It's really-not a mustang, it's not even a horse. Whilst the person using a horse as an individual means of transportation whereupon they sit astride it, as-opposed to riding 'side-saddle,' is 'riding' a horse, you can 'drive' a herd of horses, this referring to gathering a group of them and moving them towards a common destination in a uniform direction. But in the interests of being 'factually-correct,' I have included this disclaimer, lest you or anyone-else become confused as-to the conversation. Whilst you parse this factual/contextual conundrum to establish whereupon you lie in the space between comprehension and its antithesis, I shall have moved upon to another topic of discussion. Feel-free to join me, or-not, as you wish."

Based-upon the title of the thread, you should recognize the O.P. was not broaching the use of aftermarket wheels, nor was my response to the most-recent member's query about FJR1300 wheels inclusive of any mention about aftermarket wheeled products, other-than the 18" wheel I have had manufactured uses a similar method of construction to the Kosman (that would-be the Kosman wheel, as I do-not wish to confuse anyone!).

Our conversations and posts would have-to be much-longer if we were to embrace that ideal! It's 'factually-correct' if someone has the ability to cognitively comprehend the intent of the post, in the spirit of answering the questions posted, about what Yamaha product will bolt-on to provide a wider, larger-diameter wheel? This is thenewguy's opening post on his thread, titled FJR1300 wheels Vmax swap???:

It is not uncommon for threads to wander and what started as (in this case FJR1300 wheels) had moved on to a broader discussion on wheels.
You are assuming that a reader will have read all of the thread and not just 'skimmed' some of the posts.

I stand by my original comment and I trust we can agree to disagree.

Hey, if anyone can "get a thread to wander," that's me!

Kyle isn't gonna like this especially, because it's Mustangs, despite his work on his beloved's Rustang. However, as an enthusiast of interesting older cars, he's gonna-like these two Shelbys, rare examples of the cars Carroll Shelby built to develop the GT 350 and the GT 500. They're rare because they're prototypes/'mules' for the parts that went onto the production vehicles, but they're notchbacks. The Green Hornet was eventually-built with a twin Paxton supercharger big-block Ford engine. This same configuration was used only twice in Shelby's leaving the factory that-way, and neither were Mustangs. Carroll Shelby wanted to make the hairiest, most-intimidating muscle-streetster you can-imagine (gee doesn't that sound-like the VMax?) so he built exactly two of his Shelby-Cobras with this same twin-supercharged engine: the Super Snakes. Bill Cosby bought one, it was so-difficult to control and to maintain, he returned it. The other one went to a proud owner who owned it for the rest of his life. Unfortunately, that time-span was measured in "days" after his purchase, as he was soon killed in it.

Full disclosure: these are automobiles! They are not "the offspring of a male donkey and female horse. " I know, I said, "mule," but I didn't mean the quasi-equine product of intra-species gestational hanky-panky. Where horses have 64 chromosomes and donkeys have 62, the mule has 63.

Last edited:
Back