Flat Slide Manifolds?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
And being how this has now turned into a big OFF Topic issue.
And I have a few minutes. I'll explain how I do shit.
1. Make a list of what I need to do a project.
2. Gather up what the cost is going to be to do a project.
3. Research the numbers and equations to determine wether the project will actually work.
4. Determine if I have all the tools and equipment to do it myself or pay someone that does.
5. MAKE THE DECISION TO DO THE PROJECT.

Last edited:
Second-guess
Shoot from the hip
Speak before thinking
Extemporaneous contribution
Bloviate

No, not 'advice for 82nd Cowboy, on what/how to do it,' I was speaking about Tuesday's debate.

Funny I was just at Deals Gap with Marcus and Jim Piscatello all weekend and they never smelled like gas. And they both have flat slides.
They both have highly modified engines too. I'm just stating my experience. It's not worth the cost for stock motors but will work well on a big bore. Again my experience. The vgas configuration is worse for fuel smells and actually cause an issue with fuel being pulled from the carbs at high speeds as air flows over the stack. They have a cool look and if you like the clacking sound then it's not a big deal.

They both have highly modified engines too. I'm just stating my experience. It's not worth the cost for stock motors but will work well on a big bore. Again my experience. The vgas configuration is worse for fuel smells and actually cause an issue with fuel being pulled from the carbs at high speeds as air flows over the stack. They have a cool look and if you like the clacking sound then it's not a big deal.
Observation: you really should consider putting all of your stuff on your website using a blog format with your own supporting forum.

I think it was an article in Car and Driver in the 1960's about Traco Engineering, a small company whose name came from the two principals, Travers and Coon, who were famous for their engine-building in Trans-Am and Can-Am, where I saw a picture of the velocity stacks having a hemisphere of fuel/air vapor arising from the top of the stacks, pretty-sure they were fuel injection, probably given the era, Hillborn or Kinsler. The headers on the test-stand engine were incandescent red/orange, being in the shop where the engine was being run-in must have-been deafening. As I recall, the comment about the vapor cloud arising from the bellmouths, was that when the intake systems are operating properly, the cloud forms. We're speaking of highly-tuned race engines, which only have to stay together long-enough to cross the finish line.

Last edited:
Drifting off topic (apologies) but many years ago I had to meet a customer who had been giving his (bog standard) car a good thrashing then opened his bonnet immediately he stopped.
He was concerned that the manifold was cherry red.
I assured him this was normal but as we don't normally do what he did the condition isn't normally observed.

I guess now day you could mount a small camera to observe what is going on under the bonnet?

I will be running flatslides with the scoops, I was very concerned after reading Sean Morley’s opinion so I decided I’m going to purchase the scoops because they are filtered. Now I have to relocate the coolant fill and line because the new scoops require it. It’s a lot to run vgas carbs. But it does open up the middle for a nice nitrous bottle. Bang for the buck Sean Morley’s carbs all day, but I want flatslides so I bought them. If it was a money thing it’s incomparable. Scoops $750 chrome for them $300-$400 per scoop. Vgas carbs $1500 used. Not what I paid but average. Vs Sean’s I believe $500 muscle kit. Big difference. If my motor was stock I never would have gone the vgas direction. But it’s not and vgas carbs are badass looking

Here's another thought I had on the subject of flat slides. How is it Harley's with only 2 cylinders run on them?
Just wondering?
There have been alot of different style carbs throughout the years of internal combustion engines. I would think alot of engines ran with alot of different styles of carbs. There are designs surely better than others. I think using HD for the use of flatsides is a bit ambitious for this topic of debate as when HD was using flatslides, their quality was not exactly the best.

My opinion, do what you want with what you want. Maybe someone will make it work. Maybe not. Who knows....maybe in another 10 years or so, someone will figure out how to adapt fuel injection to the old gen 1 and carb issues might be a thing of the past.

While I am not gonna mess with my personal bike, I wont pass up a read on someone elses project. Win lose or draw, that out of the box thinking appeals to me especially with a detailed build.

There have been alot of different style carbs throughout the years of internal combustion engines. I would think alot of engines ran with alot of different styles of carbs. There are designs surely better than others. I think using HD for the use of flatsides is a bit ambitious for this topic of debate as when HD was using flatslides, their quality was not exactly the best.

My opinion, do what you want with what you want. Maybe someone will make it work. Maybe not. Who knows....maybe in another 10 years or so, someone will figure out how to adapt fuel injection to the old gen 1 and carb issues might be a thing of the past.

While I am not gonna mess with my personal bike, I wont pass up a read on someone elses project. Win lose or draw, that out of the box thinking appeals to me especially with a detailed build.
Bill Warner made fuel injection work on a gen1.

Fot what it's worth this arrangement of flatslides works.

I know this to be true! ;)

Hmmm...

This sounds interesting:
"1300cc, Mikuni 40mm TDMR Carbs, gassflowed head, Holeshot headers with custom silencers, Dymags, Racetech springs and emulators, White Power shocks, radial master cylinder and six pot callipers, Braking wave discs."

I’m working on a custom ram air setup. This is a rough look but I’m sure you get the idea. I won’t run them without filters, I bought the socks that go over them, but I don’t think I’m not going to trust them with a brand new motor that I paid more than I paid for the bike for. No hammers were used during this design. Just need to hit the junkyard and find four radiator hoses with a 2” inside diameter and a 90 bend and a foot or so of straight hose after that. I’m going to feel like a genius if this works

Attachments

• 5FDB56E8-2630-4837-84FA-BFF65AF298C0.jpeg
    5FDB56E8-2630-4837-84FA-BFF65AF298C0.jpeg
    85.4 KB · Views: 24
  • 74CC87E8-C188-4C17-A955-6B08448852C0.jpeg
    74CC87E8-C188-4C17-A955-6B08448852C0.jpeg
    105.4 KB · Views: 24
  • 79E0A294-3169-465C-A0F9-E120A615A408.jpeg
    79E0A294-3169-465C-A0F9-E120A615A408.jpeg
    81.7 KB · Views: 21
Whilst I'm sure it will work as an intake I'd be skeptical that you would benefit from any ram effect. I would have thought that the end caps of the filters are likely to deflect the airflow away from the intake and negate any potential positive pressure gained from forward motion.

If yours are the Rick Bachman scoops and you haven't read this it may be of interest.

I'll be interested to hear how you get on and hope that my skepticism is unfounded.

I do have a gen 1 fuel injection kit from Warner. It's the big throttle body version though so not for the small engines

I have flat slides and never smell like gas and have absolutely no problems at all with them. I'd say go for it buddy you'll love them. Everyone has their own opinions go with what you want

Latest posts

Back