flat slide troubles maybe

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mikehardy

Reaction score
I have a 1985 that I just got a couple weeks ago. I has flat slide carbs they don't seem right Bike sounds great after it warms up. You put it in gear and it sound like it bogging down almost a like a sucking sound then the bike picks up.It seems to be strong in rest of gears just the hesitation or pause at begining. I know the bike has some rust in the tank. I cleaned the fuel filter has a glass after market on it. I sucked the tank clean put fresh gas in it. Took the bottom caps off bottom of each carb cleand them. Little if any trash in them. If you choose to answer keep it simple please I am not a mechanic by trade. Frist time I have ever seen the flat slides be easy on me.

These are Keihin 39 mm I think. Bike took a while to get warmed up and started. Pulled battery off to see how bike will turn over with 98's battery.

The flat's will not let you "whack" it open like oem carbs do. They are hard to get set right and virtually every set seems to be rich. You have to roll into the throttle. You can help that a little by getting a new power valve.

Sean

Where do I need to start by setting them right or is there a sight that explains the way I can tune them and what is a power valve?

Hey guys now I understand a little more. They keep talking of of a small drill bit to set slides what size should this gap or drill bit be. I know all 4 should be same but doesn't the gap starting point become important . I hope all you all have a happy turkey day. Thanks

Took the flat slides off.
Cleaned stage seven carbs today very fun learned a lot I hope.

# 4 carb had had the pilot screw plug out. Seemed some one had adjusted on it before. When bike stared seemed that cylinder was hot so I shut it off going to call it a night.

Is there any way to tell where to set pilot screw should be?

I also need some information on setting the carbs with each other with a stage seven kit. There is no v boost. And noticed that my (puck can) breather the hoses on top are broke under the mesh. Where can you get one at or how do you fix it?

Thanks guy this sight has been a great help. Mike

Does it matter the one I get the sk or the bk? Also can you use this type with my 1998 with no stage 7 and vboost?

Got the weber tool in today did some checking and I set my floats wrong. I need to set them 1.115" I think is what I found on this great site.Then I am going to set carbs. May need some questions answered??

make sure your pilot fuel jets are clean...i just had two of mine clog frpm inactivity
and my flats were boggo9ng down just off idle

Well you would know I bought the Bk I hope it will work it fits around the outside of carb nicely.

Davidon not sure what you are talking about but I have taken the flats off and trying to run the old stage 7 carbs.

Have to order parts again broke my PILOT SCREW SET 12R-14105-00-00 it had been striped already before I broke it off The beast ran strong and even left some rubber on the street. Thanks for the heads up on the Weber it worked great when I realized you had to have holes blocked.

While I had time today I cleaned my flat slides found some rubber hose in one of the carbs they had some rust in them, but a lot less than I expected. Also found a sliver of metal in where the jet needle moves up and down. Had a hard time fishing it out(big hands small places don't make for the best pair). May try to put them back on while I wait for parts for the stage seven Carbs. Thanks again for all the help!

i do not have a clue to what could be wrong with your 39s since i have always let John at pcw set my 39s up at pcw,but i promise you this they hit very hard at any rpm. i can whack on them at any rpm and it hits hard with no hesitation .I got two 1500 with 39s which both are strong hitters from idle to wide open much more then the stock carbs.Whatever you got going on is not because there slider 39s ,it can be fixed i promise you that.

Put the new fuel tank on today. Wow the old tank was rusty. Rode the bike a mile or two 33 deg. is to cold to me. Bike ran good I'm going to try to put flat slides back on this holiday or weekend. The fan switch is not coming on so I jumped it out and the fan came on. Any suggestions on how to fix switch or does it need to be taken out and cleaned. Any ideas. Thanks for the help.

Wow the flat sides ran like a charm all I can say is powerful.Could tell a big differance no hesitation on take off! What a big difference a little less rust makes.

Back