Flat tire repair

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

davidon

Reaction score
Just picked up a screw on a brand new (about 200 miles) rear tire. It's was dead center in the tread groove. Has anyone had any luck with some of the patch kits? Do they hold up or should I get a new tire? (Perfect timing as well...supposed to be about 80 and sunny next few days)

If you did anything it would have to be a plug.

no reputable shop will plug a tire

it will never be as good as a non plugged tire

do you want to take a chance on a plugged tire???

sucks it is a new tire

me personally i would get a new tire, im not a worry wort, just anal about certain things

I have been running a plugged tire for 3k miles now. Ran them on my 4x4 truck as well. Never ever had an issue when done correctly

Ran a plugged Rear tire for 4K miles, Caught Nail on tread area, just off center when the tire was new, less that 400 miles.
I just replaced both sets with ME 880's, I was able to inspect the plug. Solid as hell, I think I used the slime heavy duty plug kit.
To each is own, I remember asking this very same question last summer, It boils down to a personal decision, where the hole is, did it break any steel bands, are you going to ever ride 2 up with a plugged tire. But you need to do this correctly as Raginman said.

My .03 cents.

Just picked up a screw on a brand new (about 200 miles) rear tire. It's was dead center in the tread groove. Has anyone had any luck with some of the patch kits? Do they hold up or should I get a new tire? (Perfect timing as well...supposed to be about 80 and sunny next few days)

If the screw whole is small and you know the repair shop will do a good job, then plug it. I've plugged and sealed radials before without problems.

I run my tyres will liquid tyre sealant and have removed worn out tyres to discover nails and screws that have been in the tread for so long the heads are worn off!!! - and no loss of pressure or performance.

The last rear tyre puncture was due to a small nail in the tread. The tyre was a brand new Pirelli radial with 200ks on it. I put liquid sealant in the tyre, re-inflated it and pulled the nail. Sealed straight away. I inflated it to 40lbs and 6000ks later it still has 40lbs.

Best thing to do is have the tyre off and make the decision when you know what the full extent of the damage is.

Having seen how much you have invested in Maximus, I thought you would just replace the tyre :biglaugh:

I picked up a huge screw in my then almost new rear shinko. The first shop to plug it were a buncha cowboys who almost dropped my bike and did a shit leaky job.

But then I went to another shop, who did a proper plug job in front of me. I also put dynabeads in at that time.

Been running the rear plugged tire to 135mph no problem, it's been over 4k miles, it's about 60% worn now and the plug is still intact.

If the rubber is clean, heated and fused properly it will be a lasting repair. I have faith!

I just ordered a box of plug/patches as I picked up a nail in the rear ofthe busa.
The kind that has a wire and looks kinda like a mushroom and goes on from the inside,pull the wire and stem thru the tire.
Bad is I have to take tire off of rim.
I have a changer but I am lazy.
I have to swap a rear tire for the max so gonna just take a day and do them all

I took my tire to my local tire shop and got it patched. 2k on it now. No Problems.

Just make sure it's a mushroom style plug and you'll be fine. The radial belts are like saw teeth and will cut a standard plug after a bit. The mushroom plug can only be installed from the inside and will last you the life of the tire.

The front tire should NEVER be plugged. EVER!

Now this is just my opinion, but I wouldn't run a plug on a Vmax. Another type of bike, sure. Did so with an old XJ750 Maxim years ago with no problems.

The VMAX, however, is a different type of animal. It can create severe torque on the tires. While a plug may be fine if you're a timid rider, If you're like me and push it once in a while, a plug may fail under the stresses. My life is important to me.....it's the only one I got. 180 bucks for a new tire seems okay if it means that the plug may fail and I don't survive.

Just my two cents. Oh, and it does suck to get a nail in a new tire. Hope everything works our for you.

I dunno, I ride mine pretty hard every now and then, including high speed, but having watched the guys put the patch in properly I'm happy I can trust it.

If I was actually racing it would be a different thing, but for everyday road usage, including some good boost here and there and some top speed on the highway, I'm happy that my patch is safe.

Well i went ahead and got a new tire since it's in stock local and at an internet type price (left for an "early lunch" to go get it ...Had to go to VA to get it for this price..luckily no traffic today..and just dropped it off for mounting..will pick up tonight)
I'm gonna save the other tire and try the mushroom plug on it at my leisure. Anyways better piece of mind for me..
Weird thing is the screw head was inside the tire with the point sticking out of the tire..don't understand how this can happen (it was a smallish head on the screw but still)

pluged my new rear tire from last set. It only had 75 miles on it and got a nail :bang head:. I finaly swaped out the tires because they were worn out. I had to put a plug in the front tire also. Plugs work great on bias tires...or radials for that matter.

Back