flatslides or elctronic fuel injection

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

arjan

Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm doing some orientation about engine-tuning and some user-experience is very appreciated.

My starting point:
  • I want to get extra RWHP on continuous basis (so not NOS dependant)
  • options are: bigbore / flatslides / EFI / jetkits
  • at the end I want to be able to integrate a NOS-bottle in my dummy, halfway in lenghtwise
Bigbore will be done later if necessary because my engine only has 12.000km on it, so I want to focus on other upgrades first. I don't have too many questions about jetkits, so for the time being they are out of scope in this topic also.

Flatslides

Pro's:
  • power gain
  • looks nice (UFO style stacks) if you like it
  • possible to integrate NOS-bottle in the dummy in UFO configuration
Con's:
  • FOD (foreign object damage) risk for engine due to open stacks / no filters
  • knee room (or using 2" stacks --> effect on performance ?)
  • smelling like fuel after a ride (sucked out at higher speeds ?)
  • no room for NOS-bottle dummy integration when using (under-dummy) filters on flatslide setup other than UFO-style

EFI
  • the big don't know anything about it thing:ummm:
  • can someone offer me some pro's and con's on the EFI system ?
  • installation (room needed / filters under dummy ?)
  • power gain compared to flatslides
  • total costs (experienced, I know the costs that are listed with the sellers)
What I finally want to achieve is more continuous RWHP with an additional NOS-setup whereby the NOS-bottle will be integrated in the dummy.

Any information is welcome about other options, installation ideas, experiences, power gains etcetera

Thanks !!

arjan
netherlands

There are a few EFI guys I know of on here that say they are nice, but your always playing with them to dial them in. You need a computer to set your tuning curves.

I would stay away from the UFO V-gas setup and go with the PCW flatslides. I saw a guy with a fresh set installed this past weekend and it was a wicked setup for sure. Very easy to setup since PCW takes your setup and pre-tunes the carbs to your setup. EFI will take awhile to dial in and its always going to be a work in progress setup. I know the two guys I spoke with werent 100% happy with the EFI, but they still liked it.

Just my 2 cents!

I will submit my dyno sheets from my morley kit stock carbs and the 39mm flatsides after i get the flatsides dyno tuned . JIM

Thanks for your input.

Problem with the non-outside stacks setup is that it won't be possible for me to integrate the NOS-bottle in the top of the dummy due to the room the filters and stacks will need under the dummy.

That's something I definately want to achieve because I find the look of it really stunning. So I would like to find a setup whereby I can use flatslides AND mount the bottle like it's done below.

For the idea:

A4a.jpg

All suggestions are welcome !!

arjan

As you know, the UFO vgas setup has your system fully exposed with no filters so it would be allowing dirty air to enter your system or anything else that might fly/drop in. Looking at that picture, that person has mesh caps on the intakes that would work, but they look like crap in my opinion. I have seen several NOS setup vmax's with the bottles attached to either the added frame braces or on the rear of the bike.

I don't know why the flatslides won't work with the setup you pictured. It's hard to get filters on any of them (even the PCW ones) but it can be done. The bottle would fit in between them where it's mounted in the pictures.

BUT, a stage seven will also work as you have pictured. My kit would interfere with the bottle mounting.

As I have the EFI I guess I should speak up for it. Firstly it takes some time to get it as dialed in as you can/should. If you have the "dummy" system it has limited capability to adjust itself for environmental conditions (the only sensor is an air temp sensor) so if you are making a large change in altitude you will have to make adjustments to your MAP. I finally have mine probably as close as I am going to try to get it for tuning as I don't want to spend all my time tuning. To be honest tuning is really easy and doesn't have to be constantly have to be messed with, as long as you don't tune it to the ragged edge. Overall I do like the performance increase the EFI gives, especially torque, but it isnt for everyone and if you have no patience I would say go with flatslides or Sean's kit (highly recommended except for your location for the NOS bottle).

Hi !

Optical styling of the max is my primary objective, I want it to look as good as I can make it. A lot of things are being done at this moment and I'll post a pic when it's ready.

The engine tuning is secundary, given the fact that it technically has to be done in a proper way of course. For me the NOS is a optical nice-to-have on my vmax, using it rarely, but not something I'll use for regular dragstrip days or things like that. That's why I don't want to attach the bottle on a framebrace or other place than the dummy.

Sean, I was thinking the 'internal' flatslides would consume too much room under the dummy to mount the bottle like this, but I hope you are right and it can be done, preferably with filters to protect the engine. A stage-7 is not what I'm looking for, I want that little bit more :biglaugh:

Thanks for the input so far.

What about the combination of EFI and this bottle-setup ? Or will I keep the problem with the stacks and limited room under the dummy ? I understood tuning can be a headache, but can it be done reasonably ? I won't try those things myself by the way.

GreetZ!

arjan

EDIT:

Hi Jim, just missed your reply. Did you also use flatslides and if so, how do you compare both systems against eachother in terms of usability, power and other relevant nice-to-knows ? For what about the Netherlands: it is FLAT :) ...so altitude definately won't be a factor to consider heh-heh...

Last edited:
Is there a budget? The EFI is very expensive and not worth the gains in my opinion (most will lose torque on a stock engine). The stage seven will run pretty well with it setup correctly. Our kit has even out powered the flatslides in smaller engines (up to 1428) but not sure you would have enough clearance with the bottle there.

You could do a series of smaller NOS bottles (sneaky petes) which would look cool too (imagine 3 of them sitting side by side). That would let our kit still be used easier (since the bottles would not sit very deeply into the faux tank).

If we can ever get the turbo kits going that would be the best of both worlds. Plenty of room for you bottle and plenty of power to boot.

Sean

Yeah... there will be a budget. Depending on what I would like to have done, I'll have to set aside more money. I won't be able to spend 8000 on this stuff, but it also doesn't have to be done for under 1500 if you know what I mean... In short: I'll have to investigate what my preferrable options are and than make a choice what I'm willing to spend on this. This info is really helpfull in that aspect.

Considered turbo for a moment, but optically it's not what I'm looking for.

I know about the slimmer bottles you mention, have seen them mounted to framebraces both sides of the bike. It indeed looked very cool. Mounting 2 or 3 of them in the dummy really might be an interesting option to consider when I can't make it work it with the bigger bottle.

I think the slimmer bottles would give you a more streamlined look and 3 of them all sitting side by side would look cool.

Sean

Back