Flickering head light & hard to barely turns over when hot

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

joneseric287

Reaction score
I'm new to the V max and their issues and quirks. I picked up a 1989 v max with 22,000 miles on the clock. It set for an unknown amount of years in a barn. The red paint was light brown when I got it home. I have replaced many O rings and hydraulic parts. Fuel has been treated and bike runs normal. However, I just got back from a ride and bike turned over very slow to restart when at running temp to put in garage. Battery shows 12.30 volts. It is hard to start suddenly when it's hot, but less than 50 % on temp gauge.Also I noticed the headlight flickers when idling. any advice appreciated.The only things different from the first 300 plus miles is, LED head light and battery tender hook up wiring.
Thanks

Remove and clean your grounds, start with the battery connections, go to the side case cover screw on the right side by the footpeg, do those.

On here is the factory service manual, check the voltage regulator and the stator for output. It's not-uncommon for the stator three leads to overheat at their white nylon plug, evidence of this is a corroded set of connectors, and a charred nylon housing for the M-F plug. A common fix is to splice the wires together, the order doesn't matter, to eliminate the plug.

If you find you need a new voltage regulator buy an updated one (MOSFET), especially in the case of your year. The early years didn't have the better regulator.

The engine ground is next-to the oil filler cap.

Did you do the crimp solder? There's a brass crimp inside the insulation which can be a problem, under the seat. You need to remove the insulation to expose it, then solder it, get a nice, shiny joint.

VMax engine ground by oil filler.jpg VMax electrical crimp.01.jpeg.jpg VMax electrical crimp.02.jpeg_LI.jpg

Last edited:
Remove and clean your grounds, start with the battery connections, go to the side case cover screw on the right side by the footpeg, do those.
thanks I'll try that cleaning leads behind the side cover, the battery connections look great.

Slow hot cranking is a known issue with bikes with the two brush starters.
Eternal markings are SM-229C = 2-brush starter or SM-13 = 4-brush starter.

Have a read here or here

Back