Flip up seat replacement

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JetFixr

Reaction score
I just joined this group due to a recent Vmax purchase that is in pretty bad shape from sitting. Factory seat is ok except for the back rest/tank access. I came across a used seat section on ebay but listing says its from a 85 model.
Looking on Partzilla I noticed that the part numbers are indeed different from a 1985 to a 2006. Does anyone know if an older one will work on a newer bike? Also, after exploring the site, I noticed that the Morley Muscle Seats are a great replacement option. For those who have gone that route, what are the prices like? I would hate to throw $100 away on a stock replacement seat when the stocker isn't very well regarded to begin with.

Attachments

• PXL_20221031_152259206_2.jpg
    PXL_20221031_152259206_2.jpg
    780.3 KB · Views: 0
Yes they are the same 1985-2007, except for color scheme.

Welcome, some useful info. I suggest printing out the factory service manual and putting it in a 3 ring binder. Spend time to see how it's organized, the first 64pp are annual updates, then the main content begins. Look at the appendix: torque values, hose/wire routing, nut/bolt sizes, etc.

http://vmoa.net/VMX12-Service-Manual01.pdf
https://www.vmaxforum.net/threads/new-vmax-owner-faqs-new-members-please-read.21240/
The carburetors will need disassembly/cleaning, look on here for threads and parts recommendations. K&L has good parts and of course OEM Yamaha are good choices. Many people have been disappointed in the ebay kits which are 'no-name.'

I suggest you take a good look in the gas tank. If you don't see shiny metal, you are probably looking at tank removal, de-rusting, and reassembly. Plenty of threads here for doing that. It's possible a prior owner coated the tank, but a poorly-done job will only cause you much grief as the carbs continually clog from detached liner material. A rusty tank will put rust in the small passageways of the carburetors, the pilot jets are a common source of blockage, and that will cause idling issues, low speed operation issues, and 'dead' cylinders from inadequate gas flow.

Use the search function to research things, print out or save to a file things you find helpful.

VMax carb choke out of adjust..jpgVMax carb float area.pngVMax carb floatlevel bowl off.jpgVMax carb kit K-L labelled.pngVMax carb kit.jpgVMax carb passages.png

Last edited:
Thanks for the reply and all the info. I have a new odyssey pc680 and all balls carb rebuild kit 26-1640 on the way already. I see that the K&L kit you listed has the gaskets where the all balls does not. May need to return that kit and get the K&L. I did find the link for the factory service manual and have skimmed it and also viewed some of the how to threads. I'm in the process of dropping the fuel tank now to evaluate if its better to clean and treat vs full replacement. I am very happy to have found this site. Huge wealth of info and great members!

Latest posts

Back