Float Adjustment

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

motomick76

Reaction score
I am just checking adjustments on carb, and checking float levels. I have searched the carb threads for a while and could not find the answer. I want to check float levels without removing them. Is the line on the diaphragm side the same as on the float side height for float level? I understand the rest of using a clear hose and measure the height. Or must I go off of the float side?

Thanks,

motomick76

Using line on side of diaphragm side is fine. You want all four to be 17 mm below the line.

I just got done checking levels and they are as follows: #1 is 20mm, #2 is 20mm, #3 is 24mm, and #4 is 25 mm below line. Sounds like the levels are a bit low. Time for an overhaul.

Next question, this bike is a recent purchase which included a Dyna 3000, Stage 7 with Vboost removed and Single K&N's, and Kerker 4 to 1. Since the previous owner installed the accessories, and the float levels are off, I am sure the other settings are off. What is the standard bench setup for this? (Needle valve setting, pilot jet setting, etc?) I have a Honda four gauge sync kit so when I am finished I can sync the carbs.

Thank you,

motomick 76

Did you cycle the key on/off to keep your line full? That seems very lean.

Pilot screws are anywhere from 2.5-4 turns out. Main jets are Mikuni 152.5's, PAJ1 are 90's and PAJ2 are 170's.

If vboost is removed you won't be able to sync your carbs with what you have. You'll need the weber carb tool to take a measurement at the top of each carb.

Hmmm, interesting. Where might a person get a Weber Carb tool? Should I cycle ignition for checking each carb?

K. I rechecked the levels. First the bike was not level. That could be half my problem. I leveled it back out, and rechecked. Each carb I cycled the ignition and kept the screw open. #1 is at 20mm, #2 is at 17mm, #3 is at 17mm, and #4 is at 15mm. Sounds like #1 is lean, and #4 is rich.

Where do I get a Weber Sync tool as I am sure the carbs have never been synced?

Thank you for your help,

motomick76

Just a thought. What if I installed the vboost and synced the carbs, then removed the vboost? The carbs should stay in adjustment. (Yes I am being stingy and cheap!) I like being resourceful.

If you have the vboost I'd install it and if you want it open all the time just unplug the connector in the open position. Turn on key and after the first buzz then turn key off. Unplug the two pin connector under left scoop.

K. I rechecked the levels. First the bike was not level. That could be half my problem. I leveled it back out, and rechecked. Each carb I cycled the ignition and kept the screw open. #1 is at 20mm, #2 is at 17mm, #3 is at 17mm, and #4 is at 15mm. Sounds like #1 is lean, and #4 is rich.

Where do I get a Weber Sync tool as I am sure the carbs have never been synced?

Thank you for your help,

motomick76

#1 is lean, #4 is within spec which calls for 15mm - 17mm wet level...but I'd drop the float as the max seems to like them on the lean side.

So I removed the carbs and took everything apart. Looked good on the internals, and I adjusted the floats with caliper to 1.117, or 28.37mm At the same time I check the syncro of the carbs on the bench. They were way off. #4 was partially open, along with #2. So I adjusted them equally using the paper trick. I also re-installed the v-boost to sync the carbs later.

As it turned out the float levels are #1 - 19mm, #2 - 20mm, #3 - 16mm, #4 - 16mm. The left bank is a little lean, so I must raise the float up just a little bit. Any recommendations on how far I should go up with the float? 2mm, 3mm from current height?

These carbs are pretty easy to work on. Have you ever worked on a Honda V-4 carb setup? Those are a nightmare.

Also, what is the mystery Weber carb adjust tool?

if you have re-installed the vboost then you wont need to get a weber. you might want to leave it on for the next time you need to check the sync. either have it stay open or attach the servo and have it functional.

Ok, so I have been messing around with trying to get the float levels 16 - 17mm and have been successful with carbs 3 and 4. 1 and 2 have been a PITA. :bang head: No matter where I move the float, I check wet level, it is at 20mm. The bike is level, (I checked it with a bubble level) I cycle the ignition each time I check the float level. Has anybody ever run into the situation of adjusting the float level, and checking it wet, it never changes? What am I doing wrong or what do I need to do?

Also has anyone ever run into the situation of the throttle linkage between 1- 2, 3-4 becoming oblong and engages 1 and 2 slightly before 3 and 4 start? I can even see the brass bushings are worn and causing excessive play.

Thank you,

motomick76

Back