Float level adjust for the first time. looking for advice

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

oz1961

Reaction score
Hi,
I have decided to take my 1982 Vmax off the road for a month to do a lot of little stuff to it.

My main concern that I have is setting my float levels.
The bike was in storage for years unrun before I got it, and although its going great, there is something not quiet right in the carby setup.

I want to take the carbys off, set the float levels and check everything and resync them.

This is my first time so any help or good simple to follow links would be appreciated.

I am looking forward to doing it as well as getting your advice

Thanks

Morleys suggestion is to use 1.115 inches measured from the bottom of the carb body to bottom of float and I have found this to be the most accurate and consistant way to both measure and adjust. Some use 1.125. Some measure other ways. Search the carb section and once you get the hang of it...it is simple. Hope this helps. Get them all the same.

The wet check is the only way I'd verify float height. Dry checks are very useful for getting you close. I use the circle in the casting to get close. Like Dan-o mentioned, lots of threads here on doing this. It's easy, but can be time consuming. It's really important for someone working on their bike to learn. I'd trust a dealer-not! to get the heights in spec.

and your 82 is a v4 1200cc...just to make sure the carbs are the same for your float settings.

Hi,
Maybe I should make a new post re:82 or 85?

I am not home at the moment but when I get back on Friday I will take some pictures and also some pictures of the first rego papers showing that it was made and registered in 1982.

Ill send an email to sean Morley also to see if he knows.

It's exactly like the 85 Vmax.

A few weeks ago I was at the dealer getting some new plugs and he looked at my bike. Is this the very first vmax?
I think so but I'm not exactly sure? OMG he said these are rare!

I can only say what I have read on the rego papers that say 1982.

I will try and do some more research about it as well.

Thanks for the advice on the float level. I will try and do a wet check this weekend and see how it looks also.

It looks like a lot of pictures this weekend

Latest posts

Back