VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

94 V-Max Rider

Reaction score
Well, I had a leaking number three carburetor. I bought the float needle and seat. I removed the float seat per the instructions found here: http://www.vmaxforum.net/showpost.php?p=209252&postcount=6.

I went to install the new float seat and discovered it's gonna need some force to install like when removing. I don't want to damage the float seat or the screen. Having said that, I'm wondering if anybody here has a tried and proven method of installing the seat.

On a side note, I find it strange that the service manual makes no reference to float seat removal and installation.

Well, I had a leaking number three carburetor. I bought the float needle and seat. I removed the float seat per the instructions found here: http://www.vmaxforum.net/showpost.php?p=209252&postcount=6.

I went to install the new float seat and discovered it's gonna need some force to install like when removing. I don't want to damage the float seat or the screen. Having said that, I'm wondering if anybody here has a tried and proven method of installing the seat.

On a side note, I find it strange that the service manual makes no reference to float seat removal and installation.

I use a "C" clamp and a small bolt that I shouldered down to fit in the top of the seat (before the screen bonnet is on), lube the o-ring with lithium grease, and press it down with the clamp till it seats. Then drop the bonnet in and gently pop the sides down with a small blunt tool.

I use a "C" clamp and a small bolt that I shouldered down to fit in the top of the seat (before the screen bonnet is on), lube the o-ring with lithium grease, and press it down with the clamp till it seats. Then drop the bonnet in and gently pop the sides down with a small blunt tool.
Much obliged. I was thinking something along the same lines. I just hope I can get the screen bonnet to sit on once the seat is in place.

I do have an additional question regarding the top plug or welch plug: It's staked in. I assume that gently filing off the old peens around the outside of the hole is acceptable?

I've revised this and now just use an EZY-out for the top plug removal.
As in insert and yank? Your other method worked great for getting the plug out, although coming up with a properly sized spacer proved to be a bit of a problem. It's now sitting in my tool box.

Much obliged. I was thinking something along the same lines. I just hope I can get the screen bonnet to sit on once the seat is in place.

I do have an additional question regarding the top plug or welch plug: It's staked in. I assume that gently filing off the old peens around the outside of the hole is acceptable?

As in insert and yank? Your other method worked great for getting the plug out, although coming up with a properly sized spacer proved to be a bit of a problem. It's now sitting in my tool box.

Press down gently on the plastic edges of the bonnet and it will snap into place....shouldn't be a problem. Just be careful not to press on the screen.

I use a chainsaw file on the peens and clean the hole up with some very fine emory cloth in a homegrown honing tool (small hardwood dowel, split for the emory cloth)...in a hand drill......just enough to clean the sides up, it's soft material

Well, more like insert, twist and yank at the same time.

On second thought....I don't put the honing dowel in a hand drill, just spin it with my fingers, there's very little material that needs removing.

I'm still waiting for my parts (the plug and o-ring). I was looking at the needle itself with a magnifying glass, and it does has some noticeable wear. I think replacing the needle and cleaning the old seat would have sufficed. Hopefully, I didn't bite off more than I can chew with this project. We shall see. I want to thank everybody for their input.

Done. I used a small C-clamp and spacer that I had ground down on one side to clear the float pin , as well as a bolt that fit the on top of float seat where the screen or bonnet sits. It took a little finagling to hold everything in place while positioning the clamp, but everything eventually lined up. A few turns on the clamp and the float seat installed. I don't know if it's possible to push the seat too far, but I used the other carburetor as a reference to determine how far the seat should project.

Latest posts

Back