Float stuck need to get home

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

crashmymax

Reaction score
My float is stuck open on a carb and gas is pouring out the overflow. I need to ride home about seven miles. Can i plug the overflow and ride it home?

you can try tapping the carb with something to try and dislodge the blocked seat.

My float is stuck open on a carb and gas is pouring out the overflow. I need to ride home about seven miles. Can i plug the overflow and ride it home?
Don't do that Bro, too dangerous. Get a piece of wood and hammer and whack the carb on the body near the inlet needle. You could dislodge a piece of crap from the seat, if that's the problem. Follow the fuel line to the area. If it doesn't work, don't run it. Time to rebuild the carbs?
Steve-o

stage 7 was installed about a 2 years ago. I will keep tapping a little longer then catch a ride home.

too bad there isn't a manual fuel shut off valve, could twist it on and off to limp it home. oh well, either drive fast but the risk of starting a fire is huge man dont want to do that. sounds like you will need a trailer to get her home man.

Got the bike home took a while. I had to stop and tap the carb several times to get it home. Is there any tricks to clean out the carbs without pulling them? Working 7 days a week right now and dont have much time.

If you had to tap it over & over the problem most likely isn't dirt on the seat, maybe varnish build-up or something like that. Try a good dose of seafoam in the tank, might get lucky. Shotgun & peashooter are for jet cleaning and won't help with float/needle/seat problems.

Rack removal is really the only way to effectively clean the carbs.

this happens once in awhile ti me. The way I usually get it done is run the bike up to about 50 t0 60 3rd gear full throttle and pull choke on full and off do this several times and see if ok. If not pull them apart

Glad you were able to get it home. I might have tried loosening the drain screw to that carb and turn the key on....might flush out whatever was making it stick.

I like the fuel additive called "START YOUR ENGINE" , that stuff works within a minute or so. I gave my boat a double dose of it because it had not been run in 2 yrs and would not idle. As soon as that stuff made its way to carb she started purring like it did 2 yrs ago when I set it up due to illness. I would sure give it a try on the stuck needle valve..........

I like the fuel additive called "START YOUR ENGINE" , that stuff works within a minute or so. I gave my boat a double dose of it because it had not been run in 2 yrs and would not idle. As soon as that stuff made its way to carb she started purring like it did 2 yrs ago when I set it up due to illness....
+ 1 I dont whats in that stuff but its about the only fuel additive I have seen work quick granted its like any thing else its not always ganna work but I have had pretty good luck with it.

"Start Your Engine," the tune-up in a can endorsed by Tony Hulman!:rofl_200:

I dont think a quick fix is going to help me. It is still overflowing and i cant seem to get it to stop. When i put it on full choke it stops. I also noticed when working the choke on and off gas was leaking from the choke plunger. Only the plunger on the overflowing carb not the other three. Anyone have this problem before?

I haven't read this whole thread, only some of it. The front left carb is the usual culprit. It's the first carb to get any trash from the fuel...Have you both tried draining that carb into a paper cup or a jar to see if there's and trash in the carb? Tiny little particles may be the problem and draining, running and draining a few times may clear it up... Good Luck...

I just had this happen recently to my back right carb. One way to easily diagnose which one it is happening to is to run clear tubing for the carb float bowl drains. Run them longer than stock and tuck them up behind the diaphram cover. Then, if you start dumping fuel, you can stop, pull over, open up all the float bowl drain screws and see which bowl has too much fuel by how far up the clear tubing the fuel goes. Obviously you can just pull the cover and try and figure out which carb vent is puking but this leads to the second step I take. Drain all the gas out of the offending carb, then tap the bowl to make sure it dropped. The float is going to have a hard time dislodging when it is still floating too high. Next, double check it did drop by turning the ignition on and off a few times to fill the float bow and checking the level through in your clear float bowl drain tube. I can provide pictures later if anyone needs them. I may not have been very clear..

I have tried every trick on the book and only temperaly solves the problem. So I pulled the carbs today haven't gottum apart yet but will do a complete go through tomorrow

Latest posts

Back