Fly wheel

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ted CG

Reaction score
My starter clutch is slipping therefore needs changing, I've bent my fly wheel puller and still not moved the fly wheel any advice on getting my stuck flywheel off would be appreciated

You need a solid puller that doesn't stretch as you tighten it.
This is what I use and the flywheel comes off without a fight. :)

Attachments

• Modified flywheel puller.pdf
    346.5 KB · Views: 31
My starter clutch is slipping therefore needs changing, I've bent my fly wheel puller and still not moved the fly wheel any advice on getting my stuck flywheel off would be appreciated
+1 on what MaxMidnight posted. That's a proper puller. PCW used to sell them. But, I've got to ask, how are you using the puller? Are you just cranking away on the center bolt? Hammer blows to the big bolt, between turns, are what move the flywheel. I use the standard, but good quality, Harmonic balancer puller with sucsess.

I've removed my flywheel in the past but for some reason its not budging this time and I'm always worried about how hard to hit the center bar on the puller in case I damage the crankshaft , however I've actually bent the center bolt this time from hitting it so unsure where to go next with this.

Maxmidnight, that's the puller I've got how much did it cost you to get the bits made , I don't know of anywhere near me that could manufacture what you've got but I'll do some asking around I'm willing to try anything . I cant it into a Yamaha garage till after Xmas so its either take it off the road and wait or do it myself again

Maxmidnight, that's the puller I've got how much did it cost you to get the bits made , I don't know of anywhere near me that could manufacture what you've got but I'll do some asking around I'm willing to try anything . I cant it into a Yamaha garage till after Xmas so its either take it off the road and wait or do it myself again

I have a lathe so was able to make the pillars myself. You don't indicate in your profile where you are based (please do so) but there are usually some local engineering shops that can do the job.

One point to note: I can't recall if I used larger diameter bar but I had to put a champfer on my posts to clear the radius in flywheel.

I,m in North Manchester , my starter clutch has finally given up completely and needs changing now, I will have to do it myself as I cant get it to a repair shop if I wanted to. I,ll have to try and find an engineer who can make the bits you sent me pictures of . I had a bike mechanic try to do it about a month ago but he couldn't get it off.

You need to use much better bolts. Watch our youtube video. I do have new OEM parts, used OEM parts, and even a heavy duty alternative that's a permanent solution using late model Royal Star parts.

You need a solid puller that doesn't stretch as you tighten it.
This is what I use and the flywheel comes off without a fight. :)
Max This might be a stupid question, would you sell me your puller? It would save me trying to get an engineering firm to make one. I can drive up to Cumbria to meet up somewhere if your willing to

Last edited:
It`s all about the bolts. I created this one:

1635535569394.png

Looks less cool but does the job :). I use the long socket wrench you see laying on the ground, put the bike in 3rd or so and apply the rear brake. The wrench on the floor locates on the nut behind the middle bolt locking it against one of the three studs.

Perhaps my flywheel isn't as stuck as yours so I never had to resort to hitting it. I do always use the correct torque when tightening it though.

Last edited:
Problem sorted I was worrying about nothing, put a set of jaw pullers on like I did last time, added some heat and sprayed some WD40 around the shaft hit it with, of all things, a rubber mallet and off it popped ,first attempt.......

Latest posts

Back