flywheel removal

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dreamster66

Reaction score
other than using the yamaha sheave to help remove it, is there any other way?
and if the starter clutch wiggles around (some play in it) is that a indication its bad or the woodruff key is bad?

some play is normal. Look at the ends of the bolts that are protruding out from the backside. See if you can wiggle them with the end of you finger. If they move then that is likely your problem. Getting the flywheel off isn't much fun.

Sean Morley

Sean is right about it not being fun. I just used a normal puller and used a nut, just placed on the end of the crankshaft so i wouldn't damage it. I didn't have to heat mine up, but I did have to whack the end of the puller for awhile. I was sitting there for about 5 min., looking at what I thought was a lost cause when the phone rang....I stood up to answer it and the flywheel just popped off! Right into the oil pan below it throwing oil all over the place.

The bolts to be used for the puller are M8-1.125 I believe. I used about a 4" long bolt. And use a quality bolt, you are going to be putting a ton of force on them.....I was practically picking the bike up while cranking on the puller.

The starter clutch was the reason for me taking off the flywheel in the first place. Mine is a '93 with about 19,000 miles on and the clutch just gave up on me trying to start it one day. The bolts were loose on the bad clutch, but I didn't seem to have to much play in the gear when I tried wiggling it.

Hope that helps,
Josh

Dreamster

If normal removal methods don't work get in touch..I had to resort to getting a 12 ton hydraulic puller which worked. Snapped the regular puller tool . Went over 150 ft lbs and the wheel did'nt budge.

D

so basically, the only way of getting the flywheel off is how yamaha says to do it, with that sheave?
Parts are coming in by the end /or 1st part of the week.

ok....I got the center bolt out.....I have a puller (3 finger type)
BUT.....The goddamn flywheel wont budge AND I bent the shit outta 2 grade 8 bolts!
WHOLLY SHIT BATMAN! I'm about to give up and take it to the local stealer!

I have an '85 with 59,000 original miles....and original starter clutch. needless to say that it started sounding like i had rocks inside the engine side cover on startup, letting me know that the starter clutch was on its way out. much to my frustration, i've tried 3 different pullers of which the 1st one bent, the second sheared a jaw/leg assembly bolt and lastly a 5 ton hydraulic, with no success in removing the flywheel. heat hasn't helped at all.........yes......i left the center bolt in, but it was loose and backed out about 1/8 inch (didnt want the flywheel & puller to go airborne once it came loose).....but it didnt come loose. superbly frustrated....any suggestions?
20190810_154753.jpg

once you have pressure on the puller you should be able to 'shock' it off by hitting strategically with a hammer

You tube has Sean Morley showing you a step by step. Not sure I would use “jaws” but high grade bolts. Impact the puller tight as you can. Zip tie through the assembly to keep all parts together. 2lb sledge and rap the end of the ouller like you mean it. The whole damn assembly tool and all comes off in your hand. Its heavy. Congrats, you just pulled your First one off.

I did this earlier this summer. Used a harmonic balancer to remove (3-bolt tool). It did take some time and a lot of choice words. After about an hour I took a step back to gather my thoughts and took the extra effort to make sure that the puller was exactly plumb or straight to the magnet. All three bolts must have equal pressure. 10 minutes later she slid right out. I must’ve watched Sean’s video about a dozen times tryin to figure out what I was doing wrong. I even used the same number of zip-ties to hold the flywheel on...

Thank you Maxmidnight for the pics of your puller customization. am working on making those custom bits for my next removal attempt.

My pleasure but the credit must go to Thomas Powell who posted the 'how to'.

One thing to check. I need to put a champfer on the flywheel end to allow the pillar to sit down snugly. Thomas doesn't mention this so I don't know if this is something particular to my year of bike ('99) or is a general feature on all flywheels.

I din't even hear the small 'pop' that Thomas mentions; I didn't reailse it had come off the taper until it nearly fell off.

Latest posts

Back