Flywheel Removal

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sdt354

Reaction score
I was ready for a fight and brought the heavy artillery. My large lead hammer and turbo torch. I wanted to take the flywheel off of the now trashed crankshaft from the 85. I used my harmonic balance puller and 3 bolts I was lucky to have around. I think the secret is heat, and whacking the bolt head on the puller after it becomes hard to turn, then taking a turn and whacking the bolt again. Having the puller perfectly straight is important too. 10 minutes later and the crank was in the trash pile. Is today the day to buy a lotto ticket?
Steve-o

I believe the heat had a lot to do with your success. I was always taught that you should heat something all the way around the circumfrence of something to get it off and it always worked, then I read on the forum someone said the most effective way to apply heat is to heat the object in one spot which makes it distort and pops it loose which makes more sense. Can you tell me which is the correct or most effective way to apply heat to a round object or the method you used. Joe

Back