Flywheel Ruined?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

motomick76

Reaction score
So it crappy here in OK and decide to R&R my flywheel as the starter clutch bolts are loose. Upon the flywheel coming off I dropped it and there is a dent on the inside edge of flywheel. Is it ok if the stainless on inside is a bit beat up, or is it shot? Can you replace the Stainless on inside of flywheel? I have some pictures to show damage.

Attachments

• IMG_0302.JPG
    IMG_0302.JPG
    72.8 KB · Views: 67
  • IMG_0303.JPG
    IMG_0303.JPG
    53.4 KB · Views: 73
  • IMG_0304.JPG
    IMG_0304.JPG
    70.4 KB · Views: 62
From the pics I would fly with it if it was mine. Maybe take a hard plastic mallet and try to reform it a little.

Sean would probably be the best one to answer this one tho'

I reformed it a little. I got my spare bike, and stole that one and put it on Betty. Put the damaged one on my spare bike.

Thanks for the help.

Got a lot done though. Fixed starter clutch, replaced steering head bearings, put fork seals in, rejetted carbs. She's almost tuned in.

I reformed it a little. I got my spare bike, and stole that one and put it on Betty. Put the damaged one on my spare bike.

Thanks for the help.

Got a lot done though. Fixed starter clutch, replaced steering head bearings, put fork seals in, rejetted carbs. She's almost tuned in.

I'm afraid this repair might be in my near future too...............
:puke:

I'm afraid this repair might be in my near future too...............
:puke:

Its really easy to do. I thought it would be difficult. Some points to remember:
1. Have two gaskets, one for each cover as you must remove both. Also need three new bolts for starter clutch, as old ones will be ruined. (Thank you Sean for setting me up)
2. Get flywheel puller, (Got mine from O'Reilly's - $27.00 one, and went to hardware store and got Grade 10.9 - 8mm X 140mm bolts) You will need long bolts to reach in flywheel.
3. Drain oil, pull covers off, and watch out for reduction gears for starter going to flywheel. They are going to fall out. Note placement.
4. Spin 19mm flywheel bolt off
5. If possible, follow Seans recommendation of sip tying the starter clutch to flywheel, if not get a grip on both pieces as you are tightening flywheel puller
5. Put flywheel puller on and impact the center bolt for puller.
6. If the flywheel is not coming off and the puller is tight as it will go, hit puller with hammer.
7. Make sure you have a hold of the flywheel, as it is going to 'pop' off. If the starter clutch stayed on crank, parts are going to go flying. (The clutch rollers, pins, and springs. They are small little devils)
8. Take old bolts out, install new bolts. (I used Red Loctite and 'Peened' the bolts) Put together rest of assembly.
9. Put flywheel on, flywheel bolt, starter gears, gaskets and covers. Put oil in and listen when you start; no more starter chatter! :eusa_dance:

Total time was 2-3 hrs, and that included traveling to get bolts at hardware store and flywheel puller.

The previous post is really excellent.

The only thing I do different is back that big bolt out about four, five turns but leave it in.
That bolt had a dimple in the center to receive the little tit on most flywheel pullers.

Doing it that way makes certain that when it pops loose the whole thing doesn't go flying.

The dimple is the oiling hole so you don't want to deform that too much.

Sean

sean has that loaner puller now i think. i'd borrow that, jedi made it.

Latest posts

Back