Flywheel sleeve - flywheel puller

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Miles Long

Reaction score
First off, this is a previous question of mine -

icon1.gif
Starter clutch bolts - tack welding?
I may have to replace my stator - I'm going thru all the fault finding processes currently - but for now I have no questions about that procedure.
My question is about the starter clutch bolts, of which the peened ends will be exposed when I remove the stator cover.
I'm not having any starter problems ("that bag of rocks"sound) as yet - knock on wood- but, in the spirit of preventative maintenance , is there any reason why the ends of the bolts could not be reinforced with a MIG tack-weld?
The ground could be placed on a stud screwed into the puller holes, next to each bolt, to prevent current from traveling thru any bearings or fits.
Is this worthwhile, or am I thinking "too far out of the box" ???
Thanks in advance for the replies

Well, I'm currently into the bike, replacing the stator. That job is going just peachy, should be buttoned up tomorrow, after I get the gaskets.
What I noticed about the bolts - they were all loose, all had moved from the original peen marks, fortunately, none had rotated more than one revolution (which explains why I wasn't having problems?) In any event, I decided against tack welding, as some folks had suggested, so as an alternative I used a sharp punch to turn the bolt ends ccw(tightening them), until the peen marks were lined up, and then blasted in two additional peens per bolt.
Hopefully, they should not back out again.
New question - this is for those familiar with the different types of flywheels used over the years.
There are six through-holes near the outer diameter of the wheel, presumably for weight reduction. I believe all the flywheels have these.
On my 03 model, there is a light gauge metal sleeve inserted in the wheel, the inner lip of which partially covers these six holes. What is this for, and is it removable with the flywheel still on the bike? In my Clymer manual, no sleeve is shown, the full diameter of the six holes are visible. I'm presuming this is an earlier model wheel.
If I can get this sleeve out, I'm going to fabricate a six - bolt puller, a "plate" type, for use when and if I ever have to pull the flywheel off . Instead of a center screw, this puller would be used with a small hydraulic ram.
Again, thanks in advance for the replies. Cheers!

The HD starter clutch upgrade uses larger bolts with heads that just barely fit into the holes of the starter clutch recess. Then the ends of the bolts are welded into place.

Sean

Back