Foamy Oil?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

t1n0m3n

Reaction score
I changed my oil and filter at 120 miles. I out the new oil in (yamalube 4) and the new yamaha filter on... I start up the engine to fill the filter and when I turn off the engine to check the oil level the oil appears to be foamy.

Is this normal? Do I need to check something else?

I don't think anyone has enough experience with the gen2 yet to be able to tell..

I would give the stealers a call 'just in case'

It appears to be "de-clouding"
It is almost clear again. I suspect that the oil clouded because I only ran the bike enough to circulate the oil so that I could check the level again. The oil never got hot..

Make sense?

Possibly - make sure to get it to operating temp, have a little ride, then give it 5mns to settle and check it again.

Once it got up to temp and I checked it never looked foamy again. Yamalube must like to be warmed up first.

Its usually caused by pushing air out of the system. Mostly the oil filter.

Winnar! :clapping:

Did you fill your oil filter before you installed it? That cuts down on a lot of the air injection to the oil and also it DOES take a couple seconds for the oil filter to pressurize, so it's good for the bearing to have a quicker supply of oil on startup. Oil pan--->Oil pump--->Filter--->Motor. That oil filter has to fill up.

I always fill my oil filters and let them sit for a few to soak in to the pleats, then top them off, then install them.

Winnar! :clapping:

Did you fill your oil filter before you installed it? That cuts down on a lot of the air injection to the oil and also it DOES take a couple seconds for the oil filter to pressurize, so it's good for the bearing to have a quicker supply of oil on startup. Oil pan--->Oil pump--->Filter--->Motor. That oil filter has to fill up.

I always fill my oil filters and let them sit for a few to soak in to the pleats, then top them off, then install them.

Sounds like a good idea to add some oil (a little less than half full), but I must be missing something. If you fill it, how do you prevent the oil from dumping out when you turn is sideways to install it?

There is enough oil leftover in the system to keep parts lubricated long enough if you put the filter on dry. Its only a few seconds after starting that its empty anyway. Just don't rev up the bike right after starting it!

That is why before an oil change you let the bike and/or car get up to operating temp. then change the oil.

Everyone is right!!

When you warm up the engine you get fresh oil throughout the system.

It suspends the dirt in the oil not in the bottom of the pan.

If you change any engine oil while cold a majority of the oil has gone to the pan. That is why the most engine wear occurs during initial start up. You illeviate that by warming the engine up. So when you do the oil change there is no damage to the engine if the filter is put on dry.

Hope that makes sense

Awesome!
I am about to change the oil again at 320 miles, so I will keep all of this info in mind. Thanks:punk:

Sounds like a good idea to add some oil (a little less than half full), but I must be missing something. If you fill it, how do you prevent the oil from dumping out when you turn is sideways to install it?

It's really easy. The drainback valve catches all the oil on the outside of the pleats and the threads engage immediatly when start to screw it on, keeping the oil in the center of the filter from dripping out. Just don't tilt the filter much until you're close.

At most you'd spill a couple drops of oil which a well placed rag will catch. Regardless even if you drain the center of the filter the pleats will be soaked and the outside of the pleats will be full. That's quite a bit of oil.

Try it. I have yet to make a mess doing all my oil filter this way. Knowing that start up is where most of the wear occurs and couple that with a few seconds of zero oil pressure on an empty filter. I feel a lot better filling the oil filter.

A high oil level will cause foaming because the crankshaft is spinning in it like a mixmaster. One way around it is to install oil filter wet or start 1/2 quart low, run and adjust level. Or ignore. I always try to install oil filters wet. Dave VMOA #3505

This bike is so much easier to change oil than my past two bikes.

Drop the oil, drop the filter, fill the filter, wait until it soaks down the oil level to 1/2 way, put on the filter, torque to 150 inlbs, plug the drain, torque to 380 inlbs, put 5 quarts of oil in...

Done

After circulating the oil for the first time, the oil level is around 2mm shy of the full mark after the oil drains back down to the pan. So much easier than a dry sump or my MV that it is recommended that you disconnect the headers...:bang head:
Also, there is no 1/2 quart of oil to have hanging around after you are done.
Exactly 5 quarts of oil, no fuss no muss.

Now I am ready for my 600 mile at the dealers whenever I get there.:eusa_dance::eusa_dance:

Latest posts

Back