Folding Knife EDC choices

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MagnaVMax

Reaction score
Hey just wandering what some you guys carry every day for a pocket knife/folding knife.

All mine got left in Afghanistan when i got medevac'd out. So i'm thinking about picking up one or a couple of the following...

- Spyderco Paramilitary 2
- Emerson CQC-8
- Spyderco Military
- Protech Tactical Response 4

Those are just a few of the ones i'm looking at. All deployment i carried either a SOG Tac Auto, or a Zero Tolerance 0350.

What do you guys carry and suggest!? :punk:

While single blade locking folders seem to be all the rage, and I have several of these that are all Gerbers, I prefer to carry a 3 blade non-locking folder, they "do it all" and lend them selves more to the day to day functions of a work knife.

My favorite in this style is My Dads 50 year old buck knife which I carry most often, and a newer Boker 3 blade that I found in a parking lot a few years back.

I save the single Blade locking knifes for when I have a seriously heavy job where I'm gonna be torquing the crap out of it and don't want the damn thing to fold up and cut me, usually cutting tape off of high voltage terminations etc...

My favorite folder is a Griptilian, I think its the mini Griptilian. Made by Benchmade, its strong, easily snapped open with the flick of the wrist and hold a good edge. Also check out Bark River Knifes, they have tons of smaller sized fixed blades that are also good for EDC(Every Day Carry). Check out Knives Ship free and DLT Trading. They carry Bark River knives along with some others, and also carry some neat sheaths for pocket carry. Be careful, these Bark River knives are addictive. Also they are not exactly cheap but they are really nicely made knives that have a convex edge that is much more durable then the standard bevel edge on most knives. They are scary sharp..Check out videos on youtube as well..

I have a SOG Twitch II which has never met a compatible use it couldn't handle. If you don't need the boot clip, you can remove it for a really low-profile pocket load.

Previously, I used a Victorinox I bought in Switzerland 23 years ago, a multi-blade knife which gave me good service. It never met a jammed seatbelt strap it couldn't defeat!

My favorite is a lockback Schrade Uncle Henry which is so-old I didn't feel comfortable carrying it so now it sits in repose in my machinist's chest, waiting to be given to the next generation. A bit heavy & bulky compared to its younger bretheren.

Leatherman C33tx I swear by that thing. Cuts through 550 paracord like string and the screwdrivers are actually functional
Leatherman_Knife_Crater_c33T-c33Tx_8602240.jpg

OR the old standard Buck 110. Heavy and bulky but holds an edge.
Buck110-01.jpg

Benchmade 551 Griptilian folder always , Vtech boot knife when on the bike and a Leatherman , always .

I carry around a little Leatherman "freestyle". It's just the folding pliers and a knife, but the knife is on the outside so you don't have to "unfold" the whole thing just to use the knife. Plus it's relatively small and light, and has a pocket clip. Been durable so far.

I used to have a fairly expensive Gerber, and while it was a nice knife, in the course of my work they inevitably get all messed up (using it to short solenoids, cut sticky shrink tape, blade as a screwdriver, ect). So I don't bother to spend big $$$ on standalone folders anymore.

I have a Buck similar to the one pictured above, dunno how old it is but I got it from my grandfather probably 10 years ago. Held an edge well, but it was fairly heavy and didn't have a clip so it was kind of annoying to carry around day-to-day.

I carry a Gerber F.A.S.T. 3.0, I won't pay a lot for a pocket knife because I will loose it before i wear it out, I really like this knife and it has a bottle opener on it.

Back