For electrical people, brain exercise.

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DreamV4

Reaction score
Awhile ago I drew a diagram, which let use of rear turn signals as run lights. 2 bulbs were working in series in run mode(half power). I do not have this diagram, have fun, drawing it! Let us see....! :D

0--------------------------|
|
V
|
+--------------------------------------|-----------------------------------0

NOT a wire schematic, clearly. But wasnt interested in doing so anyway.

Actually.....if you look up a Kawasaki Vulcan.....It uses this EXACT way to power their running lights and brake lights. My 1998 VN1500 I gave to my buddy, used 1156 bulbs for the running and brake light bulbs. Dual filaments are 1157. So, its not a mystery and other bikes use it to save weight on wiring.

Actually.....if you look up a Kawasaki Vulcan.....It uses this EXACT way to power their running lights and brake lights. My 1998 VN1500 I gave to my buddy, used 1156 bulbs for the running and brake light bulbs. Dual filaments are 1157. So, its not a mystery and other bikes use it to save weight on wiring.
I don't think so, but I'll check it.

I don't think so, but I'll check it.

Dont think so what? That a Kawasaki Vulcan is powered this way? Or that a vehicle eliminates wiring to save weight?

Cause the 1998 Vulcan I gave my buddy was wired this way.
Vehicle companies have been eliminating wiring as a weight saving measure now since the 2000s. They did it via CAN bus wiring. Information travels through 2 wires to control things instead of 40 or 50 wires. This is also why vehicles have gotten more complex. Its no longer a simple circuit. So to say a motorcycle company isnt employing the same measures to reduce weight is really a naive way to look at it. And yes....companies will do ANYTHING to save grams of weight. In my youth, I worked at VW. Their engines used stamped steel oil pans. In 1998, they went to aluminum. Do you wanna know the weight difference? 12 grams. That was it.

I checked diagram of 99 1500 Classic, didn't find.
If you can show me diagram, please.

Last edited:
Just tie into the blue wire back there for the taillight which is the running circuit for the taillight and front signals. Of course you would need to change to dual filament bulbs and sockets.

Just tie into the blue wire back there for the taillight which is the running circuit for the taillight and front signals. Of course you would need to change to dual filament bulbs and sockets.
Using OEM rear signals, just modifying diagram

I checked diagram of 99 1500 Classic, didn't find.
If you can show me diagram, please.

Mine is a 1998 VN1500A or the Vulcan 88. There are soooo many variants to this bike its not even funny. When I was battling the fuel pump issue on this bike, it took 5 wire schematics before I found that the bike did not have a fuel pump relay and instead got its power from an ignition coil for its pulse signal. Classics, Nomads, Drifters, and Mean Streak are all different set ups. Mine, for all intents and purposes is the lowest base bike you can get.

You have 4 speed older model, I had a few. It has relay module with many integral relays.

For the fuel pump? It most certainly does NOT. 4 wires to the fuel pump. 1 for the ground. 1 from the starter switch. 1 from the main power switch. Last goes right to the electrical connector to the ignition coil. So many people were wrong with where the fuel pump received its power while running. There is only ONE relay on this bike and its for the turn signals. ONE solenoid for the starter. The pulse 12V the coil receives is also the same 12V pulse signal the fuel pump receives. Its what keeps the pump from putting pressure on the carbs in low demand situations.

Once I got the right schematic, I figured out what was going on and why this bike was eating fuel pumps up at a fantastic rate. The coil was bad. It was shooting 35kV down the 12V line frying my fuel pumps. Once I replaced the coils, I stopped burning up fuel pumps and the bike now runs great.

For nearly a year, I had sooooo many people tell me I was wrong in how the fuel pump worked. In the end, I was 110% right. There is NO fuel pump relay. There is no relay center in this bike whatsoever. ONE relay in the bike. Well, now two as when I changed out the headlights, I used a relay to switch the halos to running lights when it was dark.

I had 1988 Vulcan 1500 and it had relay module with bunch of integral relays, don't know about your year. I was not talking about fuel pump. I'll check diagram.
Diagram relay module.jpg
Diagram relay module2.jpg

Attachments

• 1633608097100.png
    1633608097100.png
    363.2 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Back