For Sean...ring gap question.

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

snowprophet1

Reaction score
Hi Sean, it's Marc Matczak. It's been a long time since I bought my pistons, sleeves, studs, oil pump mod, 5th gear and whatever else I got from you for my vmax 1500 project. I am finally hell bent on not working on anybody else's stuff until I get my 1500 setup together.
Could you please remind me what all my ring gaps should be with the Arias pistons in those cast iron sleeves? The spec sheet finished bore is 3.3460" (84.99mm). Also, my job card # on my sheet is #400871 if that helps at all. I just want to make sure all is perfect when done. I even coated the skirts for the extra safety. Your private message box was full, so I posted here. You can pm me is you don't want to advertise the specs. Thanks a lot!!!!! Have a good one. Marc.
ps-I picked up a hayabusa in the meantime, and have a turbo here waiting to put on it, but I won't touch it until I get my vmax back together. I miss it!

The Arias box will have specs printed on it as well, underneath the end flap.

I went with ring end gap of .0045 per inch of bore top ring, .005 per inch of bore second ring.
Second ring bigger gap than top ring due to "ring flutter" ( google it)

The Yamaha ring end gap specs are crazy big in my uneducated opinion. Then again those are for whatever materials they were working with and not today's metallurgy.
Hot rod industry standard now a days is more in the range of what I went with.
There will be different numbers out there for stock, street performance, and race as well as types of fuel.
I made my decision after a lot of research.
Even blower/nitrous motors are in the range of .0055-.006 per inch of bore.

You don't want them to heat up and butt ends, the results won't be good.

I'm only telling you what and why I did what I did, I've only built one motorcycle engine and it's only got 100 miles on it, i could have made a bad decision, well see.
Sean's built a lot more engines and I'd listen to him over me.

Thanks! Definately don't want to run too tight! I'm sure I still won't be done as soon as I want, but I'll post dyno results, etc. once I've got it back on the road. Marc.

Back