Fork air pressure

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

42Below

Reaction score
Gidday

I may be missing the obvious but I dont see much on how much (if any) air pressure you guys run in your forks. What do people run?

I have mine apart for seals. They have progressive springs. One of the schrader valves in a cap is busted. The cap has had a hard time but will go back in.
New fork caps are $139 each here. Thats a rear tyre.

If I cant get a new valve to screw in ( I doubt it due to the size) I was thinking of getting them welded shut. I couldnt detect any air pressure when I pulled them apart.

Im looking at 10wt oil based on my weight (80kg - 175lb- plus gear) and riding which around here is winding roads. Thoughts?

Cheers

If you have progressive springs, you dont run air. You ONLY do that with the stock springs.

When I had stock springs, I ran 10-12 lbs. The Yamaha manual says that you can run 5-15 lbs.

You could ditch the stock caps and buy a set of manual preload adjusters cheaper than the cost of fixing the stock cap.

http://vmaxforum.net/showthread.php?t=23655&highlight=preload

The guy who makes these is in NZ.

Another option would be to contact him and see if he has a used cap he would like to sell. I would imagine its a good possibility since he is probably using the adjustable caps :biglaugh:

Not sure how to get in touch with Jedi though. Maybe shoot Sean an email and see if he can help you out.

I ran 8-10lbs in my forks, there was no pressure setting where it didn't ride harsh. I was balancing ride quality with not bottoming out in my driveway. With the progressives now I run no air and it's great. When I rebuilt my forks I did it exactly according to the Sean Morley youtube video. I took Seans guidance and used the synthetic import ATF/PS fluid rather than fork oil. It's weight varies from ~7.5 - 10 depending on manufacturer. I'm quite pleased with improvement in handling and ride quality.

If you do ever get your forks done never use aftermarket seals, use only OEM Yamaha parts.

Thanks for the info fellas.

I have PMd Jedi. Its a small world eh. Kiwis tend to make things, its part of being miles away with weak currency.

Another option is getting stock caps welded up as with the progressives it looks like I dont need to run air. Thats what I was hoping to hear!

Adjustability would be good though. Im putting new rubber on the front soon and the rear later this year so will evaluate the handling.
By the by -My tyre shop said dont run the Bridgestone BT45 front as its too light a construction for a Vmax. Mine has heavy scalloping from the prev owner. Its ugly.
I understand pressure, riding style... comes into it.

I found some 8mmx1mm x 20mm bolts that fit where the valves went. Shorter would be aesthetically better but there is room as its only the spacers that go immediately under the caps. If I have an 8x1 die nut I may cut them down and tidy the end to go in nicely.

I will use the orings from the valves and threadlock the bolts in. Stainless cap screws would look better but they didnt have any. Black paint to the rescue!

The stock covers wont fit but oh well they are cheesy anyway.

I got some paint stripper today too. Ill do the fork brace first to get the clear off and see how it cleans up. Its oxidised under the clear as per normal.

Back