Fork Brace Identification

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

barber1303

Reaction score
This fork brace came with my 1988 Vmax. Anyone know the manufacturer? Any reason why someone would remove the stock brace and replace it with this one? Is it an improvement over the original?

Thanks for your help.

H1BpRqJ.jpg

That's a very common mod on Gen 1 Vmax's. It is one of many in a list of mods designed to improve handling. It is supposed to stiffen up the front end.
I had them on all my Gen 1s...... couldn't really say how effective they are, but they can't hurt.

I have one on my 1997. I can't find the manufacturer however. Maybe Superbrace?

It's a superbrace and will have markings on the bottom side. Here's more for comparisons.

Attachments

• Fork Brace Comparison.jpg
    Fork Brace Comparison.jpg
    215.2 KB · Views: 59
I can understand spending money and putting a fork brace on a motorcycle that didn’t originally come with one, but I’ll be hanged if I can reason why one would want to replace a perfectly functional factory bit with hundred’ish dollar unnecessary add on...

The factory part is pretty flimsy and is not snug to the fork tubes relying instead on bolt power. Most aftermarkets are very tight fits to the fork housings and firms that up.

I can totally get behind that mod I bought a 2005 with 8000 k m on it very nice bike immaculate shape it had the stock pipes and an I believe hmf carbon set up bike I sold that because although it sounded like a small block it was buzzing my head to death on the highway it was a howler for sure after a few thou more km I put the deep dive to the stock brace and got a beefy brace the difference was night and day didn’t have that loose drift feel to it point to note once I took it off I noticed very small cracks up tight to the mounting holes

I went with Durlan bushings and solid square frame bars put 880 front and rear and it was like a whole different bike the first gens are beautiful strong bikes and a little tweaking and they become a very confident riding bike
In hind sight to it all I should have went straight to a gen 2

hope that helps
Cheers
Peter

Latest posts

Back