fork bushing wear limit?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gamorg02

Reaction score
Hey all

got one fork completely dismantled. my lower bushing looks fine but the upper one has some minor wear marks. wondering if these are well within spec or should i be replacing them or should i stfu b/c i only have 12k miles on the bike. fork seal and circlip were so f'n rusty. wow

i could grab a measurement in a sec with my calipers too maybe..

Attachments

• 2010-01-06 19.07.09.jpg
    2010-01-06 19.07.09.jpg
    38.1 KB · Views: 34
  • 2010-01-06 19.07.21.jpg
    2010-01-06 19.07.21.jpg
    34.7 KB · Views: 31
  • 2010-01-06 19.07.32.jpg
    2010-01-06 19.07.32.jpg
    36.5 KB · Views: 31
I replaced mine when they were apart. My clips were also very rusty. The new clips are coated with a light coat of grease.

thanks kevin. do they look bad to you/any one else tho? i did some specs with my calipers and they're all +/- .01 mm all the way around.

just got the other bush out and it doesn't have the same marks. it has much less visible ones and they're around the center.

and i cut my pvc spacers while i was waiting. i dunno how i measured wrong but i'm off by .16". oh well. at least their evenly off. now i'll have 1.16" drop!

the first pic looks like a little worn down, funny on one side otherwise they dont look too bad to me garrett. do you have new ones with you to put in already? dont think at that kind of mileage they would be worn out yet. is it well worn pass the bronze?

thanks FBI. its def not thru the bronze/copper yet. i can't feel a difference either. if they need it i have no problems replacing 'em, i just know that i'm looking at probably $20 plus another $30 if the bottoms have to be done at the same time. altho they look perfectly fine.

thanks sean. i'll probably re-use them too! if my 1989 gs500 with 35k miles on it didn't complain when i didn't use new ones i can imagine the max will get along fine!

thanks sean. i'll probably re-use them too! if my 1989 gs500 with 35k miles on it didn't complain when i didn't use new ones i can imagine the max will get along fine!
the max is a tough beast dont think she will mind, just getting use to the parts dont chg them now, only get confused :punk:. you put in your o2 bungs yet garrett?

hahaha. sounds good man.

sean put them in and the exhaust is getting recoated as we speak i believe.

cool, you gonna run same cans on the back? are you just getting them coated cause of the O2 install?

all the coating was coming off. headers/cans everything, sean is taking care of it though, great customer service ya know? sean is installing some down turn tips for me though which should look very very nice.

cool :punk:, was thinking on what i'm gonna do when installing the O2 bungs, have to get them re-coated after, maybe after the years ride i'll do it.

Yep, might even have them ready to ship home first of the week next week. Going to use an adhesion promoter this time so the coating will stick better to the stainless.

Sean

cool :punk:, was thinking on what i'm gonna do when installing the O2 bungs, have to get them re-coated after, maybe after the years ride i'll do it.

i love the black, and sean's prices were literally like 15% the cost of jethott so i can't complain. plus ya know its going to be done right

Yep, might even have them ready to ship home first of the week next week. Going to use an adhesion promoter this time so the coating will stick better to the stainless.

Sean

sounds good. cant' wait to see how they turn out. now just to drop the swingarm to do the motor mounts!

oh hey also sean, are you going to use the exhaust for your dyno testing?

Probably not going to have time to get it tested and sent back to you? I can't remember when you said you needed it back?

Sean

Probably not going to have time to get it tested and sent back to you? I can't remember when you said you needed it back?

Sean

By february would be great. Would that give you enough time? I heard the downtips may give it 20-30 more HP!

oh one other thing, i don't need new exhaust gaskets do i? i hope not.

Usually you can reuse them. I don't think Feb will be enough time but will find out.

Sean

Usually you can reuse them. I don't think Feb will be enough time but will find out.

Sean

i got 'em new from you when i put the exhaust on in july. they should be OK i'd hope.

Latest posts

Back