Fork height in top clamp

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cyclejohn

Reaction score
Could someone please tell me where the top of the fork should be in relation to the top clamp. When I bought the bike new in '03 the forks were sitting down 1/4 " below the top of the clamp and I thought this was correct since the dealer installed it that way. Been riding it like that ever since and never really gave it much thought until I found this forum. Thanks in advance for your reply. John

Even with the top clamp is the Factory setting. Many riders set them higher, it puts more weight on the front end. This helps handling in turns and makes it a little more difficult to bring the front end up. Not much.:biglaugh:
Going an inch isn't a problem but there is a point where the front fender will hit the radiator if you were to go to far. My forks are lowered 1" internally and it's day and night different handling from the standard setting.

Just Some Thoughts.

if you take the caps of the forks off the top edge should then be even with the top of the clamp.

lots of guns lower the forks in the trees up to 1" though too. (so up to 1" is sticking out)

I've had mine anywhere from even, to 2" over while fiddling with different configurations. ATM with a 1" internal drop I've got them set back to stock. One note, if you set them over at all, take an extra minute with the finely graduated measuring instrument of your choice to make sure they are dead nuts even with each other.

Latest posts

Back