Fork seal and progressive springs

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gimgebow

Reaction score
So I used my air compressor with a tire chuck to put some air in one of my forks that has a leak at the top of the triple tree, and it shot up. It checked in at 25 psi, so I let out air really quick with a stick style gauge and all the air went out. I tried to put more air, got it sitting around 10 now.
Reading about it online though, I think I might have blown a fork seal. The fella I bought the max from said he put progressive springs in it, but I never thought to clarify if he was talking about front forks or rear at the time... the rear is progressive, but idk about the front.
If the front is progressive it's not a big deal for the air to be low I know. Is there a quick way to check if I have progressive springs without taking the front forks apart??

You would have to pull the upper cap off the fork & pull the spring out to be sure. Take the weight of the bike off the front end before you do that and use a small hand pump from now on.

Remove the dust seal and see if the wire ring retainer for the fork leg seal has been displaced.

Putting the bike on the centerstand and then jacking up the front will allow the wheel to come off the ground, you only need it to be no-load on it, not needed to be inches off the ground. Sometimes I put the rear wheel just-touching the ground when jacking under the engine, then the wheel does have space under it.

Pretty sure the P. Springs don't need air. However, if your use of air makes it handle the way you prefer, that's a good choice.

Latest posts

Back