Fork seal tool

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

servion

Reaction score
Hello all,

I have my gen 2 forks off and am in the process of changing the fork seals. I found a thread somewhere for a differena yamaha motorcycle about a homemade tool to replace the discontinued yamaha damper rod holder "90890-01447" or pary number "YM-01447", however it was completely not applicable to these bikes.

I can't find the OEM tool anywhere (and I don't want to pay for it if I could :)). How have you all removed and reinstalled your damper rods? I used a airgun to loosen the bolt in the bottom of the fork, but it just spins and spins and doesn't come out.

Is there perhaps a certain size pipe I can buy and try to cut grooves in to do it? Any advice for a way I can do this on the gen2 forks would be really helpful

I bought a universal seal driver that works on a range of different size forks off Ebay

I found a pvc pipe in my garage that was the perfect diameter and long enough. Bring the seal to a Home Depot or something and buy a plastic pipe for like 5 bucks.

I used wooden broom handle down the fork to apply pressure and hit it again with air gun,should hold to remove that bolt.

If you can apply pressure to the tubes as if you were trying to separate them, while trying to loosen the nut at the same time will often help keep it from spinning.

Use an air impact gun and socket to break the bolts loose on the bottom of the forks. Just make sure the socket is fully inserted into the bolt before you hit go! This will prevent any stripping or slipping....this has worked for me with countless fork seal replacement jobs that come into the shop. Lastly, I don't recommend tightening the bolts with an air impact on reassembly. And use new copper crush washers....all will go well.

Use an air impact gun and socket to break the bolts loose on the bottom of the forks. Just make sure the socket is fully inserted into the bolt before you hit go! This will prevent any stripping or slipping....this has worked for me with countless fork seal replacement jobs that come into the shop. Lastly, I don't recommend tightening the bolts with an air impact on reassembly. And use new copper crush washers....all will go well.

have you replaced Gen 2 seals? The manual recommends Yamaha M1 fork oil. Dealerships I’ve spoken to haven’t even heard of it.

Back