fork seals and oil type?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dodgediesel59

Reaction score
Well I was hoping to avoid changing the fork seals again, but I now have the time since i am rebuilding the engine. I put seals in about 4 years ago when bike was mostly stock and are leaking now. I used the leak proof seals which are obviously all a lie! Curious what you guys have had good luck with? I think the death of them was the big bore chain drive as I do way to many wheelies and havent figured out how to set the bike down real smooth yet. I weigh 220 pounds with full gear I would imagine. I dont want to drop a ton of money as I will be putting an R1 front end on over the winter, but need something decent for the season. Will a heavier fork oil help out at all?

I used OEM fork seals and 10 wt. Maxima Racing Fork Fluid when I installed my Progressive Brand Springs.
I weigh about 185 lbs and only the only time my front wheel leave the ground is when I'm running hard through the gears.
I'm happy with my setup but I know a lot of the heavier guys like the feel of 15 wt fork oil.

Last edited:
Use any FULL synthetic power steering or FULL synthetic auto trans fluid. We use PG products chemicals when we do the fork builds. The viscosity is MUCH more consistent. Look up your favorite fluids and you'll see the average 15 weight isn't nearly that and has a huge range.

That's why you can't go with the B.S. advertised. You want to look at the MSDS and see the actual viscosity as well as stability charts. We've used the full synthetic stuff for some time now and every customer has been very pleased with it. Plus it's less harse on the metal and seals.

I followed Seans advice, and have the full synthetic power steering fluid in mine. Been great ever since.

Yea the name is catchy but certainly doesn't work very well! I will just be excited when I can rip the whole front end off and send the frame to pcw to get the neck modified for R1 forks.

I went with Sean's advice too, fully synthetic ATF for me and as a bonus it was 3 times cheaper than fork oil!
I used Ariete seals, haven't put the forks into the bike yet so fingers crossed they last.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

does anybody know a rough guess as to how much oil goes in the forks?? as in how much should i buy to be ok doing the fork seals and oil?? a gallon? i'm gonna use full synthetic p/s fluid.

Here is one of Seans videos.....in it he talks about how much fluid to use.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZKKdbwMQ5fY

i watched it twice, he didn't say how much fluid, but how to measure it. wich is how i am going to do it, but i want to make sure i buy enough fluid to do it, as i won't have a way to the parts store if i run short..... would i be good with a gallon? 2 quarts per fork? or should i get more?

Approx 22 oz for 93-07 per leg (at stock height). Less for earlier forks.

thank you gentleman!!!! 22oz is just over half a quart i shall get 2 and still have some left over.

Use any FULL synthetic power steering or FULL synthetic auto trans fluid. We use PG products chemicals when we do the fork builds. The viscosity is MUCH more consistent. Look up your favorite fluids and you'll see the average 15 weight isn't nearly that and has a huge range.

Apparently, full syn powers fluid is a white unicorn. Advance Auto and a couple of other places didn't have it and weren't aware there was such a beast.

Apparently, full syn powers fluid is a white unicorn. Advance Auto and a couple of other places didn't have it and weren't aware there was such a beast.

I bought my power steering fluid (full syn) at oreillys. I believe that its made for hondas.

Back