Fork seals. Different order of steps???????

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DreamV4

Reaction score
There is no reason, I think, to remove top plug until all work is done and it is time to add oil.

I worked on different bike yesterday, but all forks are probably similar.

Last edited:
Depends on how you want to get the old seal out. You can risk scratching of the tubes by using picks or bits to pull out the seal but it's possible. I have also removed the inner seal using compressed air before as well but that doesn't come out reliably that way all the time.

Late model Gen. 1 VMaxes don't have a oil drain screw like the early Gen. 1. You leave the downtube top plug screwed-in so you can remove the oil damper rod retaining screw through the bottom of the slider. That's one place where an air tool is handy for breaking-loose the damper rod screw. I suppose a cordless impact tool could substitute for an air tool, but my old Ingersoll-Rand 231C 1/2" air impact and Saylor-Beall 80 gallon 240V upright make for an easy job of it.

Replacing fork seals, I always disassemble the fork completely and rinse it out with mineral spirits, and then use a bit of fork oil during assembly to ease the re-build. Think of it like pre-oiling parts of the reciprocating assembly or the cam & valve train on an engine re-build.

Last edited:
Depends on how you want to get the old seal out. You can risk scratching of the tubes by using picks or bits to pull out the seal but it's possible. I have also removed the inner seal using compressed air before as well but that doesn't come out reliably that way all the time.
Kaw. ZRX1200 yesterday:
1.remove bottom bolt with air gun
2.pick top seal and wire clip
3.remove outer tube
4.remove inner tube from triple tri
5.assembly everything (installing bottom bolt is easier with big spring tension, I had problem in past, screwing it in, because "pipe nut" was spinning))
6.remove top plug to fill oil.

Wrong forum, it should be in 1st gen. Moderators, please move it, sorry.

Kaw. ZRX1200 yesterday:
1.remove bottom bolt with air gun
2.pick top seal and wire clip
3.remove outer tube
4.remove inner tube from triple tri
5.assembly everything (installing bottom bolt is easier with big spring tension, I had problem in past, screwing it in, because "pipe nut" was spinning))
6.remove top plug to fill oil.
Not just the wrong section but the wrong forum completely. In case you didn't notice we are mainly focused on Vmax's around here.

Not just the wrong section but the wrong forum completely. In case you didn't notice we are mainly focused on Vmax's around here.
I believe forks are identical for all bikes. Is that so? My Vmax is waiting for transmission repair. There are many good mechanics here.

There are numerous variation of forks. Many are SIMILAR but not identical. Most times it's far better for a complete disassembly to not only clean the internals but also for inspection. Just depends if you want to do it right or cheap.

Back