Fork Spring Pre-load Spacer Settings

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gleno

Reaction score
I need input on this issue :confused2:

I have progressive springs fitted inside 40mm ('88 model) fork tubes. The forks are lowered with 2 x 1" lowering springs per side.

Fork oil is 10 weight.

Forks are also fitted with Race Tech cartridge emulators set at 2 turns.

Air kit is still fitted but I'm not (usually) running air as per Progressive recommendation not to use air in the forks.

So here is the issue.

When riding over small bumps and minor road imperfections like pavement section joins, the forks fail to absorb the loads. This constant jarring is really irritating and I'd like the forks to absorb it.

Medium and big bumps are no problems and the bike handles them well.

The only way I can get rid of the small stuff is to put a couple of pounds of air in the forks as well.

Does this mean that the spring pre-load is set to high and the pre-load spacers need to be shortened :ummm:

Sorry if this is a dumb question...Did you drill out the damping rods? You didn't mention so I had to ask. That would cause what you describe. I am running the heaviest racetech spring and 20w oil and mine feels stiff but great.

Doesn't help but at least it gives you reference, and a bump to the thread.

Frank

Thanks for that Frank.

Yes, the damper rods are drilled out.

Sorry if this is a dumb question...Did you drill out the damping rods? You didn't mention so I had to ask. That would cause what you describe. I am running the heaviest racetech spring and 20w oil and mine feels stiff but great.

Doesn't help but at least it gives you reference, and a bump to the thread.

Frank

Hey Frank. Do you know what the length of your race tech springs are? and do you know what the length of your pre-load spacers are? How many and what size holes did you drill in the damping rods when you installed the emulators?:hmmm:

I do not know the lengths... I had to compress the springs about 1 1/4 to get the caps on though. As for the rods I think there were 8 3/8 inch holes...it looked like swiss cheese when we were done. Sorry I don't remember more...it was a few years back.

Frank

does the 1.25 include the distance of the threads when you bolt the caps down? If not then you have about 2 times the recommended preload (1"). Also, I like using the heavier weight fliud to help control when hard riding.

Sean

You know now that you mention it...It was 1 inch...Measured from bottom of threads in fork tube. I have since gone back and pulled out a little more and need to go back to the 1 inch setting. Maybe try and lighten the oil a bit. It's on my list...lol

Frank

does the 1.25 include the distance of the threads when you bolt the caps down? If not then you have about 2 times the recommended preload (1"). Also, I like using the heavier weight fliud to help control when hard riding.

Sean

Sean, the Progressive web site states that the stock spacer should be re-used when fitting the fork lowering kit to a V-max. I don't have stock spacer to measure and the manual is not that detailed.

What is the length of the stock spacer?

Last edited:
Back