Fork tops

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

effingidiot

Reaction score
U.K. A soldier of life,just soldiering throu.
I need to renew my fork seals and springs,the nuts at the top of the forks don't seem to want to move.Even with an air impact tool,they just don't wanna move.I am a bit anxious of stripping them,i was thinking of taking the air valve out and warming them up.What do you think,cheers.

Never had a problem with any bike that I have owned. Assuming the triple clamp pinch bolts are loose?

Some penetrating oil and using a hair dryer on the tube wont hurt too. You want the tube to expand away from the nut.
The fact the nut is alloy is a pain as it will heat up faster than the steel tube though which may cause more issues.
I know here the top nuts are $139NZD each so time taken is worth it.

One of mine was rounded off so someone before was either rough or struggled.

Dumb question but you have the gun going the right way? Dont laugh I have seen it before when i was a mechanic......

And use a singe hex socket too if you can.I wouldnt worry about it being an impact socket as its only on alloy for this job.

Dumb question but you have the gun going the right way? Dont laugh I have seen it before when i was a mechanic......

And use a singe hex socket too if you can.I wouldnt worry about it being an impact socket as its only on alloy for this job.
Anti clockwise to undo,or are they clockwise on thease nuts.am soaking them in wd40 am not rushing them.

Simple heat gun will make it all loosen up. That's even if you need too..
They're tight but hearty.. Takes a hell of an arm to cause any damage.

I watched a vidio on youtube,them ones came off easy.My ones don't want to move,even my air impact gun won't shift them.Av got a heat gun,am gonna warm them up and try again tomorrow.i'm a bit paranoid they might strip,it has to be done the seals are compleatly rotted and theres probebly no oil in them and av got some progressive springs i wanna put in.

You may have to get aggresive. I do sell custom preload caps to replace the OEM if you can get them out!

Normal thread ie anticlockwise to loosen.
If they break its not likely you will damage the forks so have at it. One2dmax has options too and preload adjusters on progressives is a good upgrade. I love adjustability.

Heat and penetrating oil are idea as per above. Then brute force may be useful. It sounds like you have whacked it with the gun though, I assume a 1/2 inch gun not a 3/8?
Not to tell you how to suck eggs but the size of the gun is based on the width of the drive square that goes into the socket. A good 1/2 inch gun will move most things assuming the compressor can feed it what it needs.
If unsure whizz a nut or two off your car wheels to see if it struggles. Then do them up with a power bar or torque wrench.

The custom caps are $120 plus postage. Probably cost $20-$30 range to ship them overseas.

Sounds like the gun is starving so isnt doing what it should/could. 2 seconds is terrible.
It must be small. Time to upgrade and go tool shopping.

Latest posts

Back