Forks leaking, just rebuild or upgrade?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JetFixr

Reaction score
Was getting ready for a ride yesterday and found a red puddle under the front wheel. Looks like both fork tubes are leaking fluid pretty bad. I just ordered the rebuild kit but am looking for feedback on doing some upgrades while I'm in there. From searching on here I found its a popular mod to add progressive springs and emulators. Progressive has a good description of the improvements you can expect over stock but I am not exactly clear on what the emulators change. Would just replacing the springs be a worthy upgrade without investing the extra $ on emulators? Also as a big guy, 6'4" 330#'s would it be better to use a thicker weight oil than 10w?

I suggest Race Tech springs instead of Progressive Suspension. They are spring rated for your weight and riding style. That should help your riding comfort and allow better tuning for your riding than the one size fits all PS springs. Also Race Tech has the cartridge emulators, which act as wave washer stacks and they do the ride damping and are tunable for weight and yes, riding style.

Cartridge emulators replace the function of your fork internals, the damping rods. I have the RICOR cartridge emulators Instead of the Race Tech, and the Race Tech specific rate springs for my weight and riding style. You will be happy with the two cartridge emulators and the springs. It can take a bit of time and effort to tune them, but the ride is noticeably improved.

As to more oil viscosity, ask the Race Tech people about that. I suspect they will suggest adjusting the cartridge emulators instead of going to SAE15.

Last edited:
Ok thanks for the reply, I didn't realize the Race Tech could be customized. Seems like a better direction to go. As far as oil weight, what circumstances would dictate using heavier weight oil? Also, after adding the upgraded springs do you still charge the forks with air?

I am a bigger rider and Raceteck and emulators is the way to go. I know at the time they didn't have a spring rated for my weight but I just used the heaviest they had. Don Ol man told me how to set them up but I don't remember the settings. I just know it was a huge improvement. I am sure as they said use Racetech info. Before I would bottom my forks under heavy braking. The difference is incredible.

A basic fork spring swap is one of the best "bang for your buck" mods you can do on a vmax.
Racetech or Progressive are both a huge upgrade.

If you're looking for an easy and affordable upgrade, email Sean Morley for a set of progressive springs and some 15wt or 20wt oil. Most guys don't run any air in the fork after this upgrade.

If you're looking to maximize the performance of your OEM forks and willing to put the time in to adjust/tune your suspension then go with the racetech setup of springs and emulators. You'll need to drill out the damper rods to negate their effect, install a lightweight oil and tune the forks action with the emulators.

There used to be some aftermarket fork caps available for the vmax that allowed you to adjust spring preload. Not sure if that's still an option these days. Check the bushings on the forks while they are apart to make sure they aren't worn.

So between the advice posted here as well as searching other threads it seems that the Ricor cartridge emulators together with the raceteck springs for my weight would be the best combination. For those using Ricor, I gather they are drop in without drilling the damper rods and wouldn't require tuning like the raceteck's?

I agree the Racetech springs and Emulators, I have these fitted to my 94 Max and it makes a big difference, I also replaced the bushes as well.

Last edited:
No experience with Ricor but have Racerech springs and emulators which are a significant improvement over OE  provided you set the static sag.

So between the advice posted here as well as searching other threads it seems that the Ricor cartridge emulators together with the raceteck springs for my weight would be the best combination. For those using Ricor, I gather they are drop in without drilling the damper rods and wouldn't require tuning like the raceteck's?
Correct.
Intiminators do not require drilling the damper rods and there is no adjusting them. You run a lightweight fork oil (5wt IIRC). RICOR says the light weight oil eliminates the need to drill the rods.

I had intiminators and progressive springs when I had OEM forks on my vmax. Huge improvement over stock.

Back